2024 expedition vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordtruck

Reaction score
All. Please before you spend money on new tires like I did bought Micheline LTX defender per dealer recommendation—

Go drive any other 2024 expedition or any Lincoln Navigator.

You will see that they all have the same vibration at speed above 75. It’s most pronounced at 82 and above.

Tires and RFB won’t address the problem.
Search the forums 2024 navigator vibrations. Comes up same issue here.

If you don’t drive over 75 you will be fine it is manageable.

Ford doesn’t warranty above 70. Dealer has vibration machine they showed it is coming from rear part of vehicle. We looked at 3 new expeditions all have same thing.

I am taking mine to a custom shop as the I had tires replaced swapped wheels too and the shaft balanced.

Custom shop will replace shaft with steel and adjust pin angles as factory is .7 or more. Nowhere near 0.

I will also try insulate the floor pans with Dynamat. Not sure if that will do anything.

I escalated to ford directly. They said this is an unfortunate known consequence of the smooth ride quality of the IRS of the aluminum body on frame design.

Please just drive other 2024 expeditions or navigators and put hand on door panel at 79-85. Before buying.

Hate to see folks waste money on tires for no reason.

Fyi I did RFB at two dealers and discount tire all after replacing with Micheline ltx.

And went through three that failed. It doesn’t solve issue.

Has anyone tried a steel after market shaft? Or shims to adjust pin angle?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove my 2024 XLT max over 90mph last weekend for about 2 to 3 minutes. I didn't notice any difference. It came with 20 inches wheels and Hankook AT tires from factory.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago prior to buying the ST we test drove a 24 timberline. Ran it to 90 on the interstate with no vibration of any kind. Fyi this was a 4X4 don't know if that has anything to do with the vibration some are having.
I'm reading about the pinion angle but haven't read anything about anyone putting a dial indicator on an axle.

RazrM5

Reaction score
All. Please before you spend money on new tires like I did bought Micheline LTX defender per dealer recommendation—

Go drive any other 2024 expedition or any Lincoln Navigator.

You will see that they all have the same vibration at speed above 75. It’s most pronounced at 82 and above.

Tires and RFB won’t address the problem.
Search the forums 2024 navigator vibrations. Comes up same issue here.

If you don’t drive over 75 you will be fine it is manageable.

Ford doesn’t warranty above 70. Dealer has vibration machine they showed it is coming from rear part of vehicle. We looked at 3 new expeditions all have same thing.

I am taking mine to a custom shop as the I had tires replaced swapped wheels too and the shaft balanced.

Custom shop will replace shaft with steel and adjust pin angles as factory is .7 or more. Nowhere near 0.

I will also try insulate the floor pans with Dynamat. Not sure if that will do anything.

I escalated to ford directly. They said this is an unfortunate known consequence of the smooth ride quality of the IRS of the aluminum body on frame design.

Please just drive other 2024 expeditions or navigators and put hand on door panel at 79-85. Before buying.

Hate to see folks waste money on tires for no reason.

Fyi I did RFB at two dealers and discount tire all after replacing with Micheline ltx.

And went through three that failed. It doesn’t solve issue.

Has anyone tried a steel after market shaft? Or shims to adjust pin angle?
Thanks for very informative post. Pardon my Swahili but ain’t this some sht…

So basically there is no recourse for the ability to drive over 73 MPH and a $90,000 vehicle with a high output, twin turbo V6 without suffering vibration??

I feel like taking the car back to the dealership right now and just have them buy it back from me.

To think that I purposely bought this large vehicle because of the notion, I’m driving at high speeds without something exactly like this.

Which of the larger performance SUVs in this class would drive better?

Feeling class-action vibes.. if there are any areas in the country where the speed limit is 75 or above, then the warranty should be in play. We should not be restricted of where to drive because the speed limit is under 75 — without symptoms..

Ugh_J

Reaction score
That's some next-level chicanery right there. My 2020 has been up to 117mph in Mexico with zero vibration. My parents' 2022 had no factory vibration up to about 85 (we didn't go faster), and still doesn't after swapping the factory 22's out for some 18's with Michelin Defender LTX mounted.

I suspect you're right about pinion angle, though not sure replacing the drive shaft is relevant to that. Pinion angle adjustment should (not an expert) be independent of drive shaft type/material.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, this is yet another dog head tilt from Ford. Mine is smooth as glass all the way up to, well, let's just say to as fast as it goes. Never had any vibration....ever. When did this start and why is it happening? What changed? I had Hankooks as OEM and then put on Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 at about 61,000 miles. No vibration issues. Another Ford situation that they are turning their back on? I hope Ford reads this, as yet again, another reason not to buy another Ford. I've thought about a 2025 Explorer or Expedition, a Navigator, or a Aviator. Nope, never mind.

PS...I'll still NEVER buy Generals and for anyone looking for new tires, those Michelin's are really, really nice.

RazrM5

Reaction score
Talk about making someone paranoid about everything now. Is the steering wheel supposed to be offset like this? I feel as though it is the steering shaft that is uneven actually.

IMG_7204.jpeg

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talk about making someone paranoid about everything now. Is the steering wheel supposed to be offset like this? I feel as though it is the steering shaft that is uneven actually.

Same on my new 2024 xlt. I asked Ford dealership to conduct an alignment to correct it. It was done within 10k miles and covered by Ford factory warranty.

24ExpMaxLtd

Reaction score
If you’re tires are properly balanced check the shocks.

We have a ‘24 Platinum with 10k miles. No off roading, no big potholes hit, 6k of the miles were from a trip from IL to FL this winter. Several weeks ago we spotted oil on the garage floor just inside the right rear wheel. After putting it on my lift for an oil change it was obvious the right rear shock failed. Way too soon for normal wear and tear.

Just got it back from the dealer. The shock is on “National Back Order” and they don’t know when the “Emergency Order” will show up. Must be a lot of shocks failing. I wonder how they are building cars without a supply of shocks?

View attachment 81206
@GregTu did you experience any vibration before noticing the failed shock? I'm two weeks in to my new 2024 Exp Max Ltd and its been vibrating's from day one at speeds 30mph+. Road fore balancing did nothing so dealer is chalking up to bad batch of General Grabber tires and replacing with a new set later this week, but I've been wondering if it could be a OEM shock problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agetech