44 freekin' computer modules...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And people wonder why I hate new cars in general..... This crap makes me buy older cars and just enjoy their reliability unlike this new computer junk.

RSNovi

Reaction score
The software defined vehicle trend that Tesla pioneered is starting to spread across the automotive industry. Soon there will be significantly fewer electronic control units onboard and be replaced with more powerful centralized computers and zonal computers.

foxg

Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be nice if they only had one module that could be programmed with any of the modules information. This way you could buy a spare and have it on hand if needed then just download the new program and go about your day.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be nice if they only had one module that could be programmed with any of the modules information. This way you could buy a spare and have it on hand if needed then just download the new program and go about your day.

yeah, but that one module would be $30000 :D

one of the goals here is reducing the number of wires. as copper is expensive, and heavy.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Nice for you & me (but not at $30K), not so much for the mfgr's of all the different modules though....

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read that Ford is trying to do more electronics in house so they can better control systems integration, so all those vendors might be getting cut out, anyways.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read that Ford is trying to do more electronics in house so they can better control systems integration, so all those vendors might be getting cut out, anyways.
and we think that's a good thing? Look at quality control on everything else. Ford printing IC's, but can't get a cast block or cam shaft, or phasers done right?

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they aren't going to be fabricating ICs, very few companies do that, almost all IC companies now are 'fabless' and rely on fabricators like TSMC. In fact, I bet they don't even fabricate their own PCBs or populate them, as that's commodity stuff that 1000s of companies can do for you. Rather, I expect they are going to design and program the modules inhouse.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rfbritt3