At what point do you have a case with Ford that your vehicle is junk? (no lemon law in Canada)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So, I have a 2019 Expedition Max Platinum, we have 120k km on it and have had a lot of warranty work. If I didn't love the truck I'd be spitting vinegar on Ford like a Chevy guy (which I spit vinegar at!). On the way to warranty expiry the writing was on the wall so I bucked up for one of the highest grade warranty packages for another 80k km or so.

Things that have been done:
1. 3 visits culminating in cam phaser replacement
2. 4 visits for transmission, one program update, two clutch pack (or something like that) and a final full rebuild
3. Front CV joint replacement

Now this visit I took it in for an oil change, running board service (despite religious lubrication) and an issue with cold starts that doesn't sound like the cam phaser issue did but sounds like top end or a turbo valve or something. Runs like crap for 20 seconds to a minute then abrubtly smooths out. Cam phaser was more gradual.

The verdict was new motor for running board at $2,700 (despite it still cycling through trying to open/close) and rear main seal $3k (has never leaked on driveway etc). They also advised an engine flush was necessary because the oil looked off. Well...it was in for an oil change but ok. I don't believe there's a rear main seal issue if I've never seen a drip. And the start-up issue was not diagnosed. The items will be covered on warranty.

The original repairs were warranted and the work performed without any dispute or doubt which was the best I could ask for under the circumstances. Now this last batch will be covered as well but I'm left wondering if the RMS is really necessary or just a cash cow on labor.

Any sensible individual will take one look at this vehicle on carfax and say no thanks.

At what point do I have a case with Ford? My next SUV may have a 6.2l in it.

CDNRabbit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best bet is to work with your dealer and the regional Ford rep. Maybe work out a deal for a new vehicle if your burning through the warranty. I did that with my 2010 Dodge Challenger. I needed the full front end to be dismantled and the hours paid by the manufacturer were really low. Dealer made me a great offer to buy the car and discount a Jeep to avoid doing the repair.

There are some options at the federal level. There may be some options depending on your province. I've linked two federal sites that have information.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In most cases the Carfax doesn't really say anything. A replacement transmission usually shows up as "transmission serviced." A diff leak might show as "50k service performed." And so on. Regardless, most people don't seem to be dissuaded by anything on the Carfax. New car dealers routinely sell rebuilds, etc. these days and the value doesn't take much of a penalty for it. Back to your question though: Good f'n luck. Ford is going to tell you to kick rocks if you ask or even imply a buyback is in order. Ditto on the dealer. If there's no legal basis, then a lawsuit is probably out as well - though I suppose you could try.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$2700 for a motor for the running board sounds ridiculous. I would remove it, put a bolt in its place. Then take it to a motor shop to either rebuild it or find a replacement. At least test it independently to make sure you are not paying $2700 for a fuse or a diode. Did they replace the relay? I had a baffling wiper problem on a Plymouth Voyager that turned out to be a relay. The relay N.C contacts were dirty and they were supposed to short the motor to park it. Because it did not park exactly where it should, the intermittent wipers function did not work. My head was spinning trying to diagnose, even spending $185 for a wiper switch I did not need. Thank you Haynes for your error in the A/D resistance table.

Last edited: