Bad Radiator Cap? / Coolant Disappears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Nice photo work there, glad you located it, but just to be sure, I would suggest checking all other connections/hoses in the cooling system :)
Thanks for that, I got to say I’m a bit disappointed with the quality of parts. It’s a common issue with these hoses. I’m sure it’s not just a Ford thing, new Toyotas have issues too. We have almost 20 year old Toyota Sienna with 240kmi and I’ve never had to replace a hose or plastic piece on the car, guess they just don’t make them like they used to!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I got to say I’m a bit disappointed with the quality of parts. It’s a common issue with these hoses. I’m sure it’s not just a Ford thing, new Toyotas have issues too. We have almost 20 year old Toyota Sienna with 240kmi and I’ve never had to replace a hose or plastic piece on the car, guess they just don’t make them like they used to!

On my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new and never used for towing, I had to have replaced several coolant hoses that leaked at connections that you showed. The Degas bottle connector also leaked and had to be replaced, as well as the engine water pump.

I don’t think engine coolant hoses, connectors and engine water pumps are one of Ford’s strong points.

Tradman2018

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my 2018 Expedition Eco Boost 3.5. Bought it in October of 2023 and in Feb the fan would not stop running. I noticed the a/c being warm and then temp was showing digits on the Eng Temp gauge on the dash. Got it home, and the reservoir was basically empty. Filled it up, all issues gone. Took it to the stealership, and they put it under pressure multiple times and never found a leak. Since they put me down the road, I have filled it up again since May at least 2-3 times. I suspect the water pump is where it's coming from under driving load.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my 2018 Expedition Eco Boost 3.5. Bought it in October of 2023 and in Feb the fan would not stop running. I noticed the a/c being warm and then temp was showing digits on the Eng Temp gauge on the dash. Got it home, and the reservoir was basically empty. Filled it up, all issues gone. Took it to the stealership, and they put it under pressure multiple times and never found a leak. Since they put me down the road, I have filled it up again since May at least 2-3 times. I suspect the water pump is where it's coming from under driving load.
Could also be one of the hoses as the OP here discovered. May only leak under heat / pressure and not be noticeable when cold.

DurhamHusker

Reaction score
Thank you for the post. I went out this morning to inspect for leaks, just as look under the car I saw a drip on the ground. I got under it and traced it to the Y-shaped heater hoses to the firewall. They’re leaking quite a bit, I posted pics but it seems to be a very common issue. I guess I’m not shocked about cheap plastic parts but I don’t expect them to fail with 50kmi. Have a Toyota that’s almost 20 years old with 240kmi and I’ve never had to replace a hose or plastic part on the car. Guess they just don’t make them like they used to.
Yeah, heater hoses are a common problem. Mine failed at 140k. Get it replaced by someone who won't put OEM hoses and connectors on it so they last you a while.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had one of my heater hoses blow a leak somewhere in Mexico. A shop was able to bypass the heater core so I could get home, and a Ford dealer in Phoenix AZ fixed me up the day after I crossed the border.

bobward757

Reaction score
I had the tranny cooler lines into the radiator fail at the plastic connectors. Replaced all the hoses with the plastic connectors precautionarily as a wear item (4 years old 160k).

If you ever hear air in your heater box you’ve got a leak

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could also be one of the hoses as the OP here discovered. May only leak under heat / pressure and not be noticeable when cold.
that's where I would lean. Cold, things are tight. Under pressure, and depending on the thermostat position, things are a bit loosey-goosey.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rfbritt3