brake rotors already warped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtholmanmax

Reaction score
Hey guys

What's with the rotors on this thing? Got a '14EL with 26k and already feeling the rotors. They have already been turned once at like 10/15k...Everything I'm reading days oem rotors are the best but out seems ha believe. It's wife's dd so no towing

Interested in your thoughts and experience

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's always a bad set in every bunch regardless of what it is

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Warped" is probably an inaccurate description of what's really wrong with your brakes. Pad material transfer is most likely the real culprit. Proper bedding-in of brakes and subtle driving habit changes will most likely prevent future problems.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
over torquing of the lug nuts can also cause warped rotors

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys

What's with the rotors on this thing? Got a '14EL with 26k and already feeling the rotors. They have already been turned once at like 10/15k...Everything I'm reading days oem rotors are the best but out seems ha believe. It's wife's dd so no towing

Interested in your thoughts and experience

I'm interested in why you turned them at 10 and 12K miles? I'm also interested to know if they are within spec. I have never turned a set of rotors in my life, if they are warped which I've only had happen once in over 800K miles of driving, I just replace them. Typically I toss them every set of pads as new rotors are not that much, on these maybe 300 bucks for OE.

I'll second driver error most likely. Probably her first SUV or first large SUV?

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since when is $300 not much? :) I just replaced my rotors on my accord. Originals were getting a bit thin at 175k miles. They will last if you take care of them. Bedding in new pads on deglazed rotors is a step most people don't do. Then they will get the brakes really hot by slamming on the brakes at a red light, and hold the brake pedal tight to the floor while they're waiting. That's where most of your pad material transfer occurs. You can see the impression of the brake pad on the rotor 90 percent of the time there is excessive brake vibration (which most people call warpage).

OP
OP
D

dtholmanmax

Reaction score
They were turned originally by the dealer when I took out for warranty service due to excessive vibration during highest braking... The symptom is back again with excessive steering wheel shutter during braking at speed

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Also, maybe a bit of recon is needed here. I suggest that you quietly observe your wife while she is driving. She may be one of those brake draggers. It happens.

caylerman

Reaction score
I'm interested in why you turned them at 10 and 12K miles? I'm also interested to know if they are within spec. I have never turned a set of rotors in my life, if they are warped which I've only had happen once in over 800K miles of driving, I just replace them. Typically I toss them every set of pads as new rotors are not that much, on these maybe 300 bucks for OE.

I'll second driver error most likely. Probably her first SUV or first large SUV?
I have the same issue and assure you it is not OE! Ford dealer only had 3 rotors in stock and I needed the vehicle the next day so I had them turned. Same price as new ones BTW. They were warped as I observed them turning them. It might be pad/rotor combination as well as having the impact gun set on "Hercules" when putting the lug nuts on, but something is happening to warp the rotors. I'm looking to replace the setup, see earlier post, with aftermarket so any suggestions are appreciated. I realize too that these are heavy vehicles. BTW, my daily driver is an 09 F150 with 90K miles and I've never had this issue.