brake rotors already warped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caylerman

Reaction score
You do realize what you just stated right?
No, that I have a daily driver for the farm and drive an Expedition about 15% of the time and my wife driving it the other part of the time. And even then not 100% as we have another car.

OP
OP
D

dtholmanmax

Reaction score
Well, quick update here - we took it to the dealer & they machined the rotors again. They told my wife the same thing I had told her (more gently than I did) - that it's likely a result of "driving style" - aka, she's hard on the brakes - 80mph to 50 in heavy traffic & also pretty hard on them in city traffic.

Also - they're replacing the subwoofer that we've been complaining about as blown

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The most important thing to NOT do is stand on the brake pedal after a hard stop. That's when pad material transfer occurs the most. I try to stop a few feet early and gently roll. Sometimes I'll put it in neutral and ease of the brake pedal as much as possible. This is especially important with new-ish pads.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you really want to replace them I put Centric rotors and Hawk pads on my 07 EL. They solved a multitude of issues including the wheels corroding onto the rotors (drives me NUTS! :shooter: )

I'm at 160k miles or thereabouts and the new pads and rotors firmed up the pedal as well.

nauti1

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431786294.573620.jpg
The best brakes I ever put on my expedition.
I had these on my 99 Eddie Bauer and now they are on my 07 el limited. No more warped rotors on either and the ceramic pads don't dust up the wheels.

Last edited:

Charlesreg

Reaction score
The brake rotors warping is a design weakness on the Ford Expeditions. I have a 2013 with 60,000 miles, and I have just had the 2nd time where the rotors warped such that when you brake hard at high speed, the steering wheel jumps so badly that you almost lose control of the vehicle. I had a previous Expedition (1997) and I had this same problem several times during the 175,000 miles I drove the vehicle. This (the warping) usually happened so quickly after the previous rotor-turning that I probably ignored the problem and drove the vehicle anyway while it had this problem because it is such a pain to go get it fixed. On my first vehicle, I was told (by a Ford service guy) that the design of the brakes is such that they couldn't put enough "meat" into the rotors to prevent them from overheating while braking such a heavy vehicle. Apparently in the 16 years since I owned my first Expedition, they have still not solved this problem. I am 65 years old and have owned a bunch of other vehicles; I don't recall ever having this problem (warped brake rotors) with any of my other vehicles.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. The vehicle is used only for passenger use. I have never towed with it or hauled heavy cargo. Virtually all of the driving is done on suburban or rural county roads or state routes (very little stopping with extended driving). I do not live in a mountain area.

I began to get a strong shudder when applying the brakes at 40 mph or higher (gentle braking). I took it to the dealer last week. All four rotors were out-of-round and were machined on the vehicle - covered under warranty. The mileage was 27,***.

The oil change and tire rotation service has always been done at the selling dealer.

I have been driving for 40+ years and have never had rotors warp like this. I respect and take care of my vehicles and maintain them very well.

This was my first Ford and I'm very disappointed at the poor quality of the braking system components.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For everything made... there will be a couple of bad ones here and there...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. The vehicle is used only for passenger use. I have never towed with it or hauled heavy cargo. Virtually all of the driving is done on suburban or rural county roads or state routes (very little stopping with extended driving). I do not live in a mountain area.

I began to get a strong shudder when applying the brakes at 40 mph or higher (gentle braking). I took it to the dealer last week. All four rotors were out-of-round and were machined on the vehicle - covered under warranty. The mileage was 27,***.

The oil change and tire rotation service has always been done at the selling dealer.

I have been driving for 40+ years and have never had rotors warp like this. I respect and take care of my vehicles and maintain them very well.

This was my first Ford and I'm very disappointed at the poor quality of the braking system components.
I agree that I would like to see larger diameter rotors with the new 20" diameter wheels, but the brakes are adequate for the job they are asked to do. The reality is that rotors don't really warp. They build deposits of brake shoe material on the surface of the rotor. This can be caused by a number issues.

Here are a couple of interesting articles:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/why-do-brake-rotors-warp

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths