bumper hitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
Bumper hitches? Do you trust them?

The bumper hitch is rated 4000lbs (400 lb tongue weight). A classIII hitch would only gain me 1000 lbs and 100 lbs for tongue weight. I'd be towing a trailer full of wood 12-15 times per year, and thats pretty much it.

The trailer belongs to a family member, and he estimates that it would weigh about 3000 to 3500 full of wood....And i have concidered taking it to the local truck stop the next time its full to have it weighed.

johnnystar

Reaction score
What is it on?
Bumper Hitches are not nearly as reliable as the easy hitch that bolts to your frame. Bumpers are held on by 2 brackets , usually 2 bolts per bracket and the weight displacment is fully on those. Thats why you see alot of bent warped or missing bumpers.
The others displace the weight over the whole rear end of your vehicle, so as long as your drivetrain can handle what your towing, you should be good to go!

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not worth it. If the trailer is to low or to high it'll resist latching, or prevent latching if its steep enough. If the trailer isn't generally level it'll cause you problems/headaches. Since your towing about once a month get the hitch. Plus if you go over an incline the bumper will hit the coupling and usually what causes it to bend.

That and everything Johnny said. Personally I wouldn't use it ever.

Last edited:

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just bought a class 3 /4 hitch it is a class 3 with a 6000 pound weight and a 10000 pound weight distribution hitch. for the 150 bucks for the hitch and the 100 bucks for the witring setup i am running. the 250 is alot better then 500 to replace the bumper

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
well, i'm going to go with the classIII hitch and forget about the bumper hitch.

But i did talk to my father in law about it (he's an engineer for chevy) and he said that if its rated at 4000 lbs , then its probably good for up to 5000 lbs as there is usually a 80%/20% safety factor figured in to the actual rating. Plus, if you look under the bumper, there is a steel plate that is bolted to the frame that the ball hitch is mounted to....

but, i've never trusted bumper hitches before, so why start now ....

johnnystar

Reaction score
Plus the versitilty of the hidden hitch is fabdabuluos.
You can change the hitch easy. regular hitch's, drop hitch's, bike racks, tow bars etc. Lots of goodies. Not too mention little plugs with boat props..there so cute.
Anyway, they are just a way better option. When i go out shopping i leave my big old drop hitch on, so people dont park right up on my bumper. (I hate that!)

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just installed mine today 8 bolts it was so easy a extra hand would of helped but i did it by myself. it is rated at 6000 pounds and 10000 pounds weight distrbutuions but there was a sticker on it that said 14000 with weight distrbution put a class 3 on your truck you will be much happier

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by opie
well, i'm going to go with the classIII hitch and forget about the bumper hitch.

But i did talk to my father in law about it (he's an engineer for chevy) and he said that if its rated at 4000 lbs , then its probably good for up to 5000 lbs as there is usually a 80%/20% safety factor figured in to the actual rating. Plus, if you look under the bumper, there is a steel plate that is bolted to the frame that the ball hitch is mounted to....

but, i've never trusted bumper hitches before, so why start now ....

Canceling out the safety factor puts it to a n unsafe/breaking point. Which I wouldn't want to be in. Besides, where do the safety chains go? Right to the frame?

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero
Canceling out the safety factor puts it to a n unsafe/breaking point. Which I wouldn't want to be in. Besides, where do the safety chains go? Right to the frame?

no, there's a place made for the safety chains...and it is already set up to plug a wire harness in for lights.