Cold start sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
Attaching audio recording. About 10 seconds in, engine will crank and rattles momentarily. The rattling sound lasts for no more than 2 seconds. Any idea what is the sound? Rattling sound occurs only on cold starts (overnight) and only on occasions and rattles for 2 seconds max. Even after cold start and then shut off after a few seconds and re-crank immediately, there is no rattling sound (engine should be still cold). It only rattles on the initial cold start. My first thought was the cam phasers but I thought that would mean it always rattles on cold starts but mine only happens on occasions.

Truck is a 2019 Ford Expedition XLT mfg date Aug 2019. Approx 68,500 miles. Purchased new and I bought the Ford Premium CARE extended warranty plan. Trying to troubleshoot before I bring the Expy into the dealership (or if I need to) as the last time I brought it in for something else (AC) they kept it for 3 weeks (they did provide me a free loaner). Thanks so much for any information you guys can provide.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
I don't see an attachment but one of the signature sounds of the cam phaser issue is rattle for about 1 second on cold start. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/znDJeyoefJI is an example.

Also, I've heard you can mitigate the cam phaser rattle by holding brake+gas pedals down, crank for several seconds, then release gas pedal. That will circulate oil up there before the start and should result in the rattle not happening. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agetech