Dashcam power from Mirror?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNTitan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can install a dash cam using power from the rearview mirror? 2013 Expedition King Ranch 4x4

Here is a pic. Do they make an adapter or can I tie off on one of these wires for power?

IMG_8041.jpeg

OP
OP
TNTitan

TNTitan

Reaction score
Yes you can.. kits on Amazon but I’d get FitCamX.. everything you need is included, looks amazing installed
Thank you! Could not find anything for 4th GEN expedition on FitCamX… Everything seems to be higher gens. Maybe I’m missing it.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you! Could not find anything for 4th GEN expedition on FitCamX… Everything seems to be higher gens. Maybe I’m missing it.
A 2013 is 3rd generation. I would like to hear what you figure out as I have a 2013 XLT and want to put in a dash cam as well.

By the way does your truck have any sort of cover for those wires between the mirror base and the headliner? Mine does not, the cable just hangs sloppily. I need to find Part number for cover if there is one. Thanks

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pushed the excess wire around the top of the windshield headliner, down the right corner post and under the dash. It's all out of the way except for the little bit at the back of the rear-view mirror and near the power outlet.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pushed the excess wire around the top of the windshield headliner, down the right corner post and under the dash. It's all out of the way except for the little bit at the back of the rear-view mirror and near the power outlet.
I did the same for my daughter's Altima. Ford actually offers a dash cam, but not certain which models it is compatible with. One of those might be packaged with a compatible harness. My sister-in-law just wrecked her GV80 and was found at fault despite her claiming the other driver veered into her lane. I wish it was easier to get these cameras hooked up!

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have installed about 5 Dash Cams in my cars in the past few years. I had also thought about using the existing Mirror wiring to power the DashCam (I use VIOFO Cameras). But one problem sticks out to me. Most of the Dash Cameras that I know of are powered by a USB cable. The USB power and DashCam are 5v while the other electronics in the car are 12v. So somewhere between the Mirror Power wires and the Camera, you will need to put in some kind of power adapter kit.

The hardwire kits for the Cameras have like 10' of wiring and that is a lot to hide up in the headliner by the camera, not to mention the little voltage cutoff box that is usually on there. I have ended up using those "Add a circuit" fuse panel taps and that has worked fine for all of my cars.

Now if you have a Radar Detector! That's a different story. Those are 12v and will power up just fine with short set of wires to the Mirror.