Did any 2007 Ford expeditions have 2-valve engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuddyC

Reaction score
My sister drove across Texas to visit home and while down here her 2007 5.4L two-wheel drive Expedition XLT caught the dreaded timing chain issue. I'm out of town so I'm trying to help her navigate talking to mechanics on the phone and describing things to them.

From my understanding me three valve engine is the worst but the two valve might not be as bad and cost less to repair. She can't find a sticker of any sort off of the engine bay or on the hood, and she said it only says "Triton" on the cover in the engine bay, nothing about the liters or valves.

I did a little research and found a site where someone points out how to tell the difference by looking at the valve covers. The pictures they showed to identify had the three valve with an aluminum valve cover and the two valve with a black plastic cover. I had her go out and look in there and from what she's telling me, she does not see the aluminum valve cover gasket on the side of the engine, she does see a black plastic cover with the grooves running a long top of it.

I would love for her to be able to tell mechanics that she has the two valve since that might be less problematic and cheaper to repair, Plus just be an overall better engine going forward. From what I'm saying though, I can't find anything about 2007 having the two valve engine. Were there any produced with just two valves, or is it a sure bet that all 2007 expeditions have three valves?

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
All 3 of the Gen 3 Expy's I've owned had 3 valves (07, 09, 011)...