Help FL boy with COL snow tire question please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stratmeister

Reaction score
I need my brothers/sisters advice here cause I’m in uncharted territory.

I live in Florida, drive a 2021 2WD Expedition and am headed to Colorado for Christmas.

On I70 in Colorado at that time of year since I don’t have 4WD I’m required to have some form of additional traction like snow tires or chains, etc… not a fan of chains…

So I’m thinking of getting new tires that would be CDOT-acceptable for winter I70 driving but would also be good Florida-hot weather good. Ideas?

I’m looking at Michelin Defender LTX M/S which I think are CDOT acceptable due to the M/S designation and supposedly would help with a smoother ride also in non-winter driving.

Anybody have advice or experience with a situation like this? Anybody in Colorado know if these tires are acceptable to CDOT? Are they good snow and all weather/season tires?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate you.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
2WD vehicle + Colorado in the wintertime = recipe for disaster...

Yea the Defenders may help a little, but even in PA in the winter, I would not be caught dead without my 4WD Expy :)

But looking at the tread pattern, they should be ok for floweedia drivin under normal conditions....

And fyi, chains do suk, and were outlawed in a lot of states years ago (along with studded tires), mainly because they destroy the road surfaces, as well as being extremely dangerous for those drivers who don't know how, or stupidly refuse to, adjust their driving habits when using them :D

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've looked into this before myself while planning trips to snow country, but only dealt with it in light snow in northern New Mexico. Why not rent a vehicle for the stay in CO? Probably cheaper than buying a set of winter tires just for snow. There are many three-peak rated AT tires (My three-peak Coopers did well with a few inches), but by all accounts you really want a snow tire for extended driving on those types of roads. There are multiple videos on YouTube that compare performance of Snow, All Season, and Three Peak tires on snowy roads. I've seen TFL do that testing repeatedly.

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The requirement is 4wd with snow tires, 2wd drive must be chained up. I’d get cables not chains. Maybe time for a new 4wd truck. CO is brutal in winter, you don’t want to be the guy holding up traffic at 35mph, they aren’t nice to flat landers.

OP
OP
S

Stratmeister

Reaction score
Thanks for your info. My update: buying a new 4wd isn’t in the cards though it sounds great! Rental 4wd for a 3 week trip is possible but a way more expensive option to new tires, and I’m getting a set of chains/cables no matter what, cheap insurance to keep around.

I was wondering LegalBrief, why cables instead of chains, ease of use?

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your info. My update: buying a new 4wd isn’t in the cards though it sounds great! Rental 4wd for a 3 week trip is possible but a way more expensive option to new tires, and I’m getting a set of chains/cables no matter what, cheap insurance to keep around.

I was wondering LegalBrief, why cables instead of chains, ease of use?
Cables roll smoother and are a bit easier to work with. You will have them on a lot in CO…. Instead of paying for a rental upgrade your rig.

ColoExpdn

Reaction score
2 wheel drive will work fine on the major roads especially I70. The roads are kept clear except in very bad weather hence the traction laws. Keep abreast of the weather forecasts and plan your trips. Some say Colorado has on average 300 days of sunshine a year; probably closer to 250 depending where you are.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Note in post #7 the word Either. Choose one (1) you don't need them all. #2 and #4 seen appropriate.

(A 2WD Expedition?! What were you thinking? :) )

Snow can hit any-where and no-where. And it's not constant even in Colorado. Read the road signs in the photo below. And, no, I don't have show tires here in Richmond nor did I in the snow belts (lake effect) of OH or NY.

-- ChuckSnow.jpg

Grizguy

Reaction score
Good luck driving in snow.. ice the first time. I grew up pre 4wd. pre radial tires in NW PA when we still got ALOT of snow. 2wd expy will do well for an EXPERIENCED snow driver. New snow driver. go slow. don't jam on the brakes and expect to stop. Don't make sharp turns at speed. Be careful when you attempt to change lanes. the snow ruts will grab you and place wherever they want!