Help FL boy with COL snow tire question please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I learned to drive in Minnesota and driven alot in snow all over the country. A good set of M&S rated tires are fine. Does your expedition have the electronic locking differential like mine ? If it does use it. Just use some sense and you will be fine. I can't tell you how many jeeps I've pulled out of ditches with a 250 Econoline with a limited slip rear. 4 wheel doesn't do anything for idiots. Slow methodical steering and braking, lots of distance between the car in front and you should be fine. You will get a feel for it.
Ever notice the cars that flip over on the grass on the sides and center of Florida interstates? It's because people swerve on to the grass and stab the brakes rather than slowly steering and braking and not paying attention.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(A 2WD Expedition?! What were you thinking? :) )

Snow can hit any-where and no-where. And it's not constant even in Colorado. Read the road signs in the photo below. And, no, I don't have show tires here in Richmond nor did I in the snow belts (lake effect) of OH or NY.

-- Chuck
As a long time 4WD SUV owner, I was surprised when we started to spend winters in Florida and noticed that many Pickups and Full size body on frame SUVs were 2WD there. If you go on a dealer lot in Florida the vast majority of these type vehicles will be 2WD. Like you, I personally, would never purchase one of these vehicles in 2WD configuration, but even with all the sand and mud in the state, many Floridians buy 2WD. :rolleyes:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm from MN. What you want is a 4x4 vehicle with dedicated snow tires. My wife's Jeep GC has this setup and it's unstoppable in the winter.

My truck is 4x4 and I have very good "three peak" tires, but they are not dedicated winter with the softer rubber compound. They are definitely better than normal all-season tires but they don't come close to a dedicated setup.

There are some newer "all season" snow tires (like this one from Nokian) but I don't have first had experience.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
No need to buy snow tires for a week visit at Christmas. :)

Regarding 2WD Expeditions in Florida I get it. My Dad almost bought a car from Florida years (and years) ago -- no rust! -- but found out it did not have a heater which was actually an option in all cars up until the 1960s. Probably saved the original owner $25 by not getting one.

-- Chuck

Peter L

Reaction score
Here's the link to Colorado DOT traction requirements....

Lived here all my life and have driven all sorts of vehicles in the winter over the last 45 years. Rear wheel drive is a real challenge if the roads are icy and snow-packed, especially given the long hills that you'll encounter. As the link will show, look for M+S or Mountain/Snowflake icon (winter tires) as a starting point. Ford is funny about chains, claiming that their use will void the suspension warranty which I think is a bunch of hooey. Cables are easier but not quite as good. In either case, you need to keep your speed WAY down regardless of what anyone else might say (like 10 - 15 mph) - a broken link will at the very least beat the daylights out of your wheel well/fender and at the worst, wrap around the axle and lock up your vehicle. Towing during a storm is: a) very slow to arrive, b) really expensive and c) you'll be the subject of several hundred really ticked off other drivers. The fines for blocking traffic are also no joke.

Get some decent tires (I run Falken WildPeak AT3s that have a wear warranty and are reasonably quiet). My best advice - if you are on your way and there is heavy snow forecast for the mountains, either leave early or hole up at a hotel for a night - it really is different driving in snow, especially with the light back-end of the Expedition (only slightly heavier than a pick-up which in 2WD, is about the worst vehicle for winter driving (okay maybe an Econoline van is worse....). Enjoy your time here and just plan for heavy traffic, especially if you are heading up the hill the day before Christmas or any Friday at all.