Max Maximum Towing Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know the towing questions have been covered in the forums an awful lot, so I apologize. But I can't seem to get a good read based on towing at the max 9200 lbs. I've searched and read all the threads/posts I can about towing 3500-6500 lbs. Just not 9200 lbs.

I'm coming from towing with my 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 that I've owned for 19 years, towing my 2010 camper/travel trailer that has a dry weight of 7800, GVWR of 9750 and tongue weight of 1005 lbs with a WDH. I've had to modify this by adding F-350 springs front and rear as well as air helper springs in the rear, Hellwig sway bars and a DPTuner tune. As well as adding some other goods like an upgraded trans cooler, cooler thermostat and an OEM clutch type LSD. But I've got 3 cars that are, 2 are 2001 and 1 is 2005. But I'm tired of constantly having to fix them and just want one newer vehicle. After having my Excursion for 19 years I really enjoy that size of truck and would love to pick up a used 2018+ Expedition Max for towing in place of the Excursion.

So where I'm going with this is I'm not afraid to modify my truck to make it fit the bill. I mention that because I've done some research and know that I would be best served by purchasing a 2018+ that did NOT have CCD and had the HD towing package. Unfortunately I don't see many options for supporting my required tongue weight of 1005 lbs. I see upgraded Bilsteins as an option but don't see any aftermarket air helper spring setups available. I do see Sumosprings. And not having purchased a 2018+ Exp Max yet I can't even begin to conceive a plan to make my own air helper setup. Or if it is at all possible for me to engineer my own. But that's why I'm reaching out for input from you all.

Anything I get, whether it is a 2018+ Exp Max or F-150, I plan to install larger intercooler, radiator if necessary, oil cooler, trans cooler, etc., to allow me to actually pull this size camper. So I get the full picture of towing requirements. Just missing the actual rear suspension limitations/fixes.

So, if I may ask, have any of you towed something that heavy with your Exp Max, have you been able to do so level and have you been able to find any acceptable modifications to allow this?

If not, then I will most likely walk away from my dream of continuing on in the Excursion type fashion and go with an F-150 that I know can handle it. I just don't want to invest in an Exp Max only to have to sell it.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Last edited:

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer with a 6800# dry weight. It pulls it very well. But you are over the limit on tongue weight and no doubt over on actual weight when loaded up.

I would go with a F150 with the 13,000 lb trailer rating if I were you. I have a friend who tows with an F150 set up like that and I’m amazed at how well his truck rides and drives without a trailer.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're definitely over the recommended limit, but you have options. I Googled air bag suspension 2018 Expedition and this was on the first page: https://airbagit.com/products/fbx-r-for-6600

If you get everything level and don't overload your cargo area, you should be okay. The Excursions were awesome trucks. Too bad they were only offered for a short time.

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That 1000 lb tongue weight plus the required WDH will leave an Expedition with about 500 lb payload including driver, passenger and dog.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Rob's comment above. The Excursion is far and away a different vehicle than the Expedition. I towed with a 2002 7.3 PSD Excursion for 12 years. Mine was basically stock except for Superchips Tune, Hellwig sway bars and bump stops. Great long distance runner with that 44 gallon tank whether towing or not. I never felt my Excursion move around on the road like my Expedition does.

I think the biggest problem you are going to run into is the axle capacities / tongue weight. If memory serves the Excursion rear axle capacity is over 5300 lbs, while the Expedition is rated at 4300 something.

You will be much better off with an F250 towing that kind of weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
absolutezero273c
Reaction score
All, thanks for your input.
- jjscsix, thanks for sharing your 6800 lb trailer pulls well. That gives me confidence pulling my trailer. Also appreciate your input on the F-150.
- techdude99, thanks for sharing the air bag link. I will check with them this week to see what their product is rated at. You share my philosophy as well regarding towing limits. I also see these as 'recommendations' and believe it's possible to push the limits a little. Albeit cautiously. I have to believe these recommendations aren't the absolute failure point. Perhaps it causes additional wear and tear that has to be monitored.
-Left Coast Geek, you're spot on. It would be my wife and the 2 dogs most of the time. Kids might come along occasionally. That's why I'm hesitant to go the F-150 route. Need room for everyone.
-Rob6805, I know my Excursion is closer to the Superduty equivalent but seating, of course, is as limited as an F-150. Not to mention I'm really tired of paying the higher cost of diesel. My other 2 cars require premium fuel and that is worse than diesel, IIRC, now. So I'm REALLY looking forward to NOT paying the almost $1 difference in my area between Regular and Premium. And also the added cost of diesel as I mentioned.

I'm looking forward to getting away with Regular while using it as my daily. And then, of course, would use premium when towing.

I'm most definitely sold on the Exp Max now. And my wife and I have discussed, since I started this thread, that it would make sense to get a smaller camper/travel trailer next year. We bought this large of a camper to make sure the kids were comfortable and wanted to continue camping with us. But now that they are older they don't camp with us as often and it doesn't make sense for us to pull a 37 ft camper for the two of us and two dogs. So the weight issue may become a moot point soon enough.

Thanks, All!

OP
OP
absolutezero273c
Reaction score
-GlennSullivan, Thanks. I agree that a superduty chassis would be the best fit. But as mentioned above, I'm tired of paying the added cost of diesel if there is a less costly alternative. But I value the interior volume of the Exp Max more than anything. I also feel I'm so close to the recommended limit, and don't need to by buying a superduty that is rated at 2-3x the Exp Max.
I do also agree the axle rating is something to be mindful of. For example, I'm aware of the expected life of a 2001 superduty rear axle and have rebuilt mine on my Excursion in a timely fashion. So with the added stresses on an Exp Max axle I would be performing preventative maintenance and rebuilding that earlier than recommended. Maybe even see if there is a rear diff cover that has added cooling capacity/fins.

All of my maintenance I stay up on in hopes of eliminating any failures during our trips.

But we will most likely be downsizing our travel trailer as mentioned.

I do have to agree with you. The 44 gallon fuel tank is wonderful thing on the Excursion!

Thanks

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition EL pulls my 7,800 GVWR like a champ. It's 33 ft with the hitch and we're at 7,000 lbs loaded. I think you can find plenty of campers within the Expeditions tow rating for two people. Definitely get the Max, as it has a bigger fuel tank and more stability.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
-GlennSullivan, Thanks. I agree that a superduty chassis would be the best fit. But as mentioned above, I'm tired of paying the added cost of diesel if there is a less costly alternative. But I value the interior volume of the Exp Max more than anything. I also feel I'm so close to the recommended limit, and don't need to by buying a superduty that is rated at 2-3x the Exp Max.
I do also agree the axle rating is something to be mindful of. For example, I'm aware of the expected life of a 2001 superduty rear axle and have rebuilt mine on my Excursion in a timely fashion. So with the added stresses on an Exp Max axle I would be performing preventative maintenance and rebuilding that earlier than recommended. Maybe even see if there is a rear diff cover that has added cooling capacity/fins.

All of my maintenance I stay up on in hopes of eliminating any failures during our trips.

But we will most likely be downsizing our travel trailer as mentioned.

I do have to agree with you. The 44 gallon fuel tank is wonderful thing on the Excursion!

Thanks
When on a non towing trip my 2017 gets very close to 500 miles between fillups, not the 700 my Excursion got, but Im older now and a break at 500 miles is good. Unfortunately, when towing (on premium), that drops to 300 miles between fuel stops. While Im on the subject, you should keep in mind that can run the T/T Expy in low load situations on 87 (which I do) you NEED TO plan on running Premium in all loaded / towing situations. Besides being the MFG recomendation, you will get substantially better mileage towing with premium than regular. I am getting close to 13mpg towing a 6600 load. I’ve pulled my car trailer empty (1650lb) with both reg and premium and the difference is 2.5mpg.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoney