Navigating Towing Challenges: Seeking Advice After Discovering My Vehicle’s Towing Limitations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionEngine

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2022 Ford Expedition XLT Max (4x4) from a Ford dealer. During the purchase, I was informed that the vehicle had a towing package and a towing capacity of 9,300 lbs. As someone not very familiar with towing, I trusted their information, especially since the car has a 7-pin connector, which seemed to confirm their claim. The primary reason for choosing this vehicle was to tow a travel trailer.

After buying the vehicle, I purchased a 2022 Transcend 265h travel trailer, which has a dry weight of 6,600 lbs and a GVWR of 8,000 lbs. However, when I tried to tow the trailer, I noticed that the vehicle did not have a brake controller installed. This raised concerns about the actual towing capacity of my car.

Upon taking the vehicle back to the dealer, they informed me that the towing capacity is actually 6,000 lbs due to the car’s 3.31 gear ratio. They confirmed this by checking the VIN and showing me the Ford towing chart.

Now, I'm in a situation where I can't tow my travel trailer with my vehicle. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice:

1. Discussing with the Dealer: Should I approach the dealer about the inaccurate information they provided? If so, what should I ask for in terms of compensation or assistance?
2. Towing with a 3.31 Gear Ratio: I live in Dallas and plan to visit state parks within 2-4 hours' drive, which involves mostly flat terrain. Can I safely tow my trailer with the current gear ratio? What risks might I face?
3. Brake Controller Installation: The dealer mentioned that the trailer brake controller is on national backorder. I'm considering installing a third-party brake controller using Forscan. Has anyone done this before? Should I remove the coin holder and install the controller there? Any recommendations on the parts and steps involved would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will either spend the money to make it an "HD tow ready" vehicle, or you can have them buy the car back and give you one with HD tow. With that size trailer I would tell them to replace the vehicle.

You need the upgraded coolers. 3.31 is fine, my last HD Expy had 3.31s.

Do some searches on this forum on those that went the route of upgrading their non-HD tow to make it more "towable".

Personally, I wouldn't tow that size trailer without having all the HD enhancements.

You will need a good Weight Dist Hitch either way and learn to get it set up correctly.

OP
OP
E

ExpeditionEngine

Reaction score
@Fasttimes Thanks! I talked with the sales guy and he said his sales assistantance tool showed him 9200 lbs towing capacity but he said he can make a good deal if I upgrade. To be honest, I do not want to go into that route agains because I am pretty sure I will be paying more and upgrading to a newer one.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealerships are the worse. All the 4th gens had the seven pin connector, so that's not an indicator of HD Tow. You basically have three options (1) Trade the vehicle, (2) upgrade the vehicle.

You didn't say how long you've had it, but I would probably opt for upgrading the vehicle if a trade with no additional cost wasn't an option. Reason being, the aftermarket parts are probably more capable than what the Expedition comes with. At a minimum, the dealership should install and program the trailer brake controller for free. The biggest upgrade is the radiator, but you'll want upgraded transmission and oil coolers as well. The 3.31 gearing isn't really a limitation, you can lock the top gear out if needed. Not sure about the springs. The HD Tow ones might have a stiffer rate. You can check Ford parts to see if there's a difference there. Good luck, sorry they inconvenienced you.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you're going to want them to take it back and give you one with the HD tow package. On the rear axle, I think the gear ratio will be fine, but you're going to want the extra payload. The 3.73 that comes with the HD tow package is rated at 4380lbs while the 3.31 is only rated 4200lbs. And, yes, the springs are different.

Penumbra

Reaction score
As been stated, first issue is you purchased the base model xlt without the proper setup for what you intended to utilize the vehicle for. The vehicle is a tool, when a tool is purchased due diligence must be taken so the proper tool is matched to the task and always better for the tool's capabilities to slightly exceed it's work load for intended job.

The xlt is a base model better suited to soccer moms. Simply put, you need the HD tow package with transmission cooler, upgraded tires, suspension, and brakes. I specifically shopped for a Limited(2016 bought new) with the HD tow package(classIV receiver, trailer brake controller and transmission cooler). After towing from coast to coast with a trailer (~7500lbs) it was obvious the Expedition still was under engineered for the task in some areas. Never once did it over heat even in 120+ degrees going through mountains through death valley. Plenty of power as well. I have tested its power limits and could pull bone straight at 90mph...although in general I drive at 55mph max and to this day I get 550-640 miles per tank...20-23 mpg with 183k. Upgrades I have done which were night and day in towing performance especially in extreme mountainous terrain. I have done the same exact setup on both my suv's as my other is a Yukon xl Denali 6.2.

1. Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors...Ive used the cryo treated and non cryo both are exceptional.
2. Extreme duty pads...I have used Hawk reds(front) and orange (rears) as well as EBC and Stoptechs. All are excellent imo. Prior to rotor/pad upgrades the stock brakes overheated quite often in steep mountain terrain with heavy traffic and windy paths where a lot of breaking is required. Adjusting trailer brake or using the tb lever to "manually" assist only caused all brakes(trailer) to fade so bad I had to pull over as needed to allow complete cooldown to prevent complete glaze over. I have never once had this issue again after upgrading.
3. Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. This upgrade improved the ride and tow handling beyond my expectations. Completely eliminated rear sag and bounce on the freeway while providing ~1.5" lift.
4. 10 ply m/s tires. I run only TOYO AT3 285/60/20 and can't say enough good things about them. I originally ran TOYO CT's in order to run a studded tire in Oregon but found them to have less traction than the AT3 for everyday extreme conditions when not running studs. As a contractor I'm navigating my vehicles trailer through extreme conditions...heavy rain, snow, mud, and rough jobsite terrain.

Saying all this I have towed across the U.S. dozens of times with my wife and children and never felt unsafe and the ride is smooth, straight and quiet.

Last edited:

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the gear ratio either but the cooling would be important and the brake controller is a must. I hope you can get this sorted with minimal headaches.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Lots of changes in recent memory so confirm what ya got before making too many assumptions or accepting salesman's claims. Or making unnecessary modifications.

Expedition HD Tow axle ratios and trailer connections have varied in the past few years with my 2007 (Gen3) being 3.73LS and wired connections for a brake controller and my 2017 (Gen3) being 3.31 and an integrated brake controller (plug-n-play). Both were max tow rated at 9200 pounds with a WDH regardless of the axles. As noted the 7pole Bargman connector on the rear bumper used to be only included in HD Tow and a positive identifier but that's no longer the case.

Never needed nor considered modifying the Expedition's suspension or tires. My 6500 pound travel trailer has ridden just fine behind my '02 Explorer XLT, '07 Expedition XLT, and 2017 Expedition XLT (all with HD Tow). Note my personal towing rule of thumb is the One Ton Rule which simply stated requires the tow vehicle to have 2000 pounds maximum more towing capacity than the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of the trailer. This allows for cargo and passengers, high summer temperatures, and steep grades.

I would never buy a SUV or pickup truck without HD Tow and the integrated brake controller. Cheap from the factory. Expensive to retrofit.

The Ford integrated brake controller is every bit as good as the Tekonsha proportional, the gold standard for brake controllers.

-- Chuck

KenCar

Reaction score
For a trailer that size consider a F250-F350 quad cab with a cap.
I generally never tow a long distance with any trailer that is greater than 50% of the vehicle's max rated capacity.