New vehicle headlight mark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscoford

Reaction score
Brand new 24’ has some black plastic or something inside of the headlight housing (driver side). Looks like possibly small pieces of the butyl sealant.

My question is would you bring this up to service, and request a new headlight. Or just leave it alone. First the O2 sensor fell out and now I’m noticing some minor build quality issues. Definitely expected more from a 75k truck.

My only concern with having the service dept replace the headlight is opening up a different can of worms with them taking apart the front end etc. Am I just asking for more issues….

Attachments

• IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4916.jpeg
    IMG_4916.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 32

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Well, it's clear that you really should have inspected the truck a lot closer than you did before signing on the dotted line...

As to whether you should have the headlight replaced or not, which may or may not be necessary, that would depend on if you trust your dealer or not... although it is a time-consuming process, it's not that hard and doesn't involve that much technical stuff to do properly, other than being careful with the wiring harnesses & such....

But the good thing is, the vehicle is still under warranty, so any of these types of issues should be fixed without any expense to you :D

Good luck & please post back with the results...

OP
OP
W

wiscoford

Reaction score
I’ll certainly never buy another vehicle without more of a vetting process. I’ve bought quite a few cars throughout my life and never had an issue….Until now.

Although I wouldn’t have caught the O2 sensor problem. Took the drive home for it to work its way out of the threads.

I’m 50/50 on the dealer. They fixed the O2 sensor problem but I’ve done very little work with this dealer. First purchase through them and will be the first car through their service dept.

Mainly just curious if people think those marks are complaint worthy or if I’m expecting too much.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both of these are nuts. An O2 sensor fell out? WTH? what else is loose?

As for the headlight, I'm pretty picky so for me, that would bug the heck out of me. And if you're keeping the truck for a while, get it replaced. Especially for the price of the headlight. If you tried to replace that, would probably cost you $1500-2000. If nothing else it should be perfect at first.

Just do yourself a favor and closely inspect it after replacement. Make sure the bumper cover is lined up well, make sure you don't see damage to the fenders and grill, etc. Check to make sure they are sturdy by popping the hood and jiggling things.

Also, finally, go get some clear bra on those lenses afterwards. Saved my booty a few times.

Rednecked

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer will tell you to go pound sand. I also have some imperfections on my headlights. Forget it and drive….

OP
OP
W

wiscoford

Reaction score
Both of these are nuts. An O2 sensor fell out? WTH? what else is loose?

As for the headlight, I'm pretty picky so for me, that would bug the heck out of me. And if you're keeping the truck for a while, get it replaced. Especially for the price of the headlight. If you tried to replace that, would probably cost you $1500-2000. If nothing else it should be perfect at first.

Just do yourself a favor and closely inspect it after replacement. Make sure the bumper cover is lined up well, make sure you don't see damage to the fenders and grill, etc. Check to make sure they are sturdy by popping the hood and jiggling things.

Also, finally, go get some clear bra on those lenses afterwards. Saved my booty a few times.
Yup. Took roughly a 25 minute drive for one of the O2 sensors to work its way out and fall out. Dealer said the threads in the exhaust/cat were bad from the factory. They had to retap the threads I’m guessing and screwed the sensor back in. They claim the sensor is A-OK and the exhaust threads are now good.

I’m very similar and now that I know the spots are they I look at them every time I get in the truck haha. I also have a feeling they’ll look at me like I’m nuts if I ask for a replacement.

I’ll keep everyone posted. I’m going to swing by the service center next Tuesday.

I also have a weird clicking from under the dash that just started up when I brake / accelerate. Only happens at lower speeds when you’re starting / stopping and once you’re moving it goes away.

Wife loves the vehicle which is a positive.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
My advice would be to inspect your truck in great detail and don’t be shy to use a water hose to check for any leaks.
Try out every function your truck has to offer, from parking brake to hill descent feature and what have you. Then make sure you go on record with the dealership about any deficiencies. as my experience is, they are reluctant to transfer some items to the work order , write on the check sheet “hand delivered, date and time”
This has helped me a lot in the past to make my case, especially with the turnover of service advisors. Also you never know what failure lurks behind the issue with the headlights.