Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I've been happy with the Pennzoil ultra platinum, I use it in all three of my vehicles. If you buy it on Amazon it's pretty reasonable also. The price difference from full synthetic to synthetic blend is not significant enough to even bother with using something that's a lesser quality product. On the subject of oil, the first thing I installed on my 2022 was the catch can and in a 5000 mile oil change interval I get about a half an ounce of liquid in it.
Pennzoil ultra platinum is the way to go. Make an oil change now and then again after let’s say 2k to flush out existing crud, and the settle into regular intervals. I use the Ford oil filter

The Ark

Reaction score
Just go by what the owners manual states for your specific engine. I currently run the Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic 5w-20 in my '12 Expedition with 122k on it, and a Motorcraft oil filter. Full synthetic is also an option. I didn't see anywhere in the owners manual stating you couldn't switch oil types. I don't lose any sleep over it

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. I've used Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, and Pennzoil. I use a suction pump to drain the oil. It does a great job, and keeps me from having to remove the shield. I change faithfully every 5000 miles.
Mr. Big, could you describe the suction device you use? Looks like a tight place for the drain and it is time to do my first oil change. Please share.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Woodwolf

Reaction score
Is there wss-m2c961-a1 on the box? Last time I checked a year ago, it was not printed on this certain brand. And I am not sure if Ford will use it as an excuse when you need warranty service related to engine.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (copied from Pennzoil site)

Ford WSS-M2C930-A and WSS-M2C945-A

(SAE 5W-20)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A and WSS-M2C946-A(SAE 5W-30)
Ford WSS-M2C947-A

RECOMMENDED

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor OilPREMIUM​

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology is a first of its kind full synthetic motor oil made from natural gas and designed for COMPLETE PROTECTION. Redesigned for modern turbocharged engines - API SN PLUS, API SN and all previous categories.

From 4ltr can: meets WSS-M2C946-B1 also as specified in 2019 EX Platinum manual
(SAE 0W-20)

Last edited:

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Synth or Non Synth does not matter. What matters is all the spec code required for the Eco Boost (your gen model).
You will find some specs do not exist in non synth and some do not in semi-synth also.
Also some synths do not meet spec also. Oils and engines today are nothing like 20 years ago.

Oil is the life of the engine especially in these turbo and tight tolerance engines with tiny oil holes going everywhere.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Synth or Non Synth does not matter. What matters is all the spec code required for the Eco Boost (your gen model).
You will find some specs do not exist in non synth and some do not in semi-synth also.
Also some synths do not meet spec also. Oils and engines today are nothing like 20 years ago.

Oil is the life of the engine especially in these turbo and tight tolerance engines with tiny oil holes going everywhere.
What oil do u use?