Platinum 4-wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I’ll try the rotary switch in mud/rut. We have 6 inches of snow today and a long uphill driveway. I just want to keep the front drive engaged.

My driveway is seriously steep. I used to have to power up it in the 250, my 17 Expedition EL in 4A went right up it, both forwards and backwards. Haven't had the 20 in snow yet, but based on its behavior even with the crappy highway OEM tires in the Mud it will also have no issue. Just leave it in 4A, 50/50 might not be what you need. Letting it send power back and forth might be exactly what you need. Try it.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do find it annoying thought that, for example when I put it in Snow mode, that when I shut off the vehicle and start driving again, it goes automatically goes back to normal but leaves the vehicle in 4A. Seems dumb, if you're going to default back to Normal each time, then go back to 2W as well. Otherwise, stay in the mode I put you in to begin with.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do find it annoying thought that, for example when I put it in Snow mode, that when I shut off the vehicle and start driving again, it goes automatically goes back to normal but leaves the vehicle in 4A. Seems dumb, if you're going to default back to Normal each time, then go back to 2W as well. Otherwise, stay in the mode I put you in to begin with.

Yeah, that does annoy me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My driveway is seriously steep. I used to have to power up it in the 250, my 17 Expedition EL in 4A went right up it, both forwards and backwards. Haven't had the 20 in snow yet, but based on its behavior even with the crappy highway OEM tires in the Mud it will also have no issue. Just leave it in 4A, 50/50 might not be what you need. Letting it send power back and forth might be exactly what you need. Try it.

It’s all in the weight distribution. My dad has an F-250 crew cab with the e-locker and I can enter the steep side drive (garbage truck entrance) into one of our apartment complexes in 2H with the Expedition when he can’t make it even with the locker on. He needs to use 4x4. This winter I’ll be having to plow that steep drive with the 250 since he’s going through chemo that should be fun. There’s just no weight over those rear wheels on the pickup.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The F-250 is a brute though. One time the garbage truck got stuck because the city plow hammered the entrance and he was spinning all 8 wheels on the rear two axles. The F-250 in 4x4 Low and e-locker engaged pulled that heavy truck out no problem.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It’s all in the weight distribution. My dad has an F-250 crew cab with the e-locker and I can enter the steep side drive (garbage truck entrance) into one of our apartment complexes in 2H with the Expedition when he can’t make it even with the locker on. He needs to use 4x4. This winter I’ll be having to plow that steep drive with the 250 since he’s going through chemo that should be fun. There’s just no weight over those rear wheels on the pickup.

Yeah, in the Winter I used to carry 8-10 bags of sand at the back of the bed plus straps and chains. Sand served as weight, and was very useful at providing traction when getting people out of ditches. Most people in VA have ZERO clue how to drive in snow....so pulled many out over the years. Used the 17 Expy many times also the past couple of years.

Sorry to hear about the Chemo! Wish him luck!

My 250 had an air locker. It did well. Like you said, it just does it differently. Just been VERY impressed with the 4WD system in the Expedition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
The info on link is exactly what I needed to know. I went skiing in March and had my 2019 Expy in Normal mode and 4WD (4A). I don't have tow package or the FX4 package. Going slow and coming out of turn in the mountains, the rear started to fish tail but luckily it straightened out. It scared the heck out of me. The other side of the road was a shear drop off and my son was in the Expy. Next time, I'll use the mud/rut/sand mode so that the Expy is locked in 4H. Thank you guys! This is extremely helpful.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The info on link is exactly what I needed to know. I went skiing in March and had my 2019 Expy in Normal mode and 4WD (4A). I don't have tow package or the FX4 package. Going slow and coming out of turn in the mountains, the rear started to fish tail but luckily it straightened out. It scared the heck out of me. The other side of the road was a shear drop off and my son was in the Expy. Next time, I'll use the mud/rut/sand mode so that the Expy is locked in 4H. Thank you guys! This is extremely helpful.

Fish tail would have still happened, and most likely worse. 4A moves torque around. You should have put it in Snow/Grass/Gravel Mode. That engages 4A and changes the programming for slippery conditions.

The computer is better under most conditions than most people. That has been proven many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro