Power Fold mirrors -- how do they work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Post

Reaction score
201b is without memory seats, correct? In this case, you'll need to wire them through a relay (press and hold an aftermarket add-on switch for full manual control) or using a Ford or aftermarket module (push button and watch them fold/un-fold, might be able to use factory mirror switch for trucks with power-folding mirrors).

No my 17 has the 202A option (not 201b, my mistake) with memory seats, power pedals, memory mirrors, etc.

if the 17 is wired for power mirrors, where does the module go?

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you asking about adding an aftermarket or Ford accessory module to control the folding? I'll defer to TXFRDOwner on that as he is familiar with that retrofit. As for the factory setup, the power-fold motors in the mirrors are controlled by the Driver Seat Module (DSM). Since you have 202A you have a DSM so that would be the best way to hook them up. You'll need a new mirror switch. But, it might also require adding pins to existing connectors and running a few new wires. And, of course, some minor reprogramming via FORScan.

I haven't ready through this thread for a while now, but I don't think it's been verified yet if power-fold circuit wires are present by default in vehicles with 202A that don't have power-fold mirrors installed by the factory.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you asking about adding an aftermarket or Ford accessory module to control the folding? I'll defer to TXFRDOwner on that as he is familiar with that retrofit. As for the factory setup, the power-fold motors in the mirrors are controlled by the Driver Seat Module (DSM). Since you have 202A you have a DSM so that would be the best way to hook them up. You'll need a new mirror switch. But, it might also require adding pins to existing connectors and running a few new wires. And, of course, some minor reprogramming via FORScan.

I haven't ready through this thread for a while now, but I don't think it's been verified yet if power-fold circuit wires are present by default in vehicles with 202A that don't have power-fold mirrors installed by the factory.

What he said ;)

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
What he said ;)
I probably walked in on the mixed up middle of this so. If the question is, for a vehicle equipped from the factory with power fold mirrors, how do you fold them? Using the mirror adjustment switch on the drivers door, (3 position rotary), turn to center position, and pull switch straight back, mirrors will fold in. In center position pull switch straight back mirrors will fold out. Center position of rotary mirror adjustment switch controls the power fold feature. WARNING! If you are trying to get the mirrors to fold in, and out, with the ignition, IE; ignition off - Mirrors fold in. Ignition on - mirrors fold out, yes you can set that up in FORScan. BUT HERE IS WHY YOU MAY WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT! AND PROBABLY WHY FORD DOES NOT HAVE THE SYSTEM DO THIS (program it in), at/from the factory. The system is robust enough to handle folding the mirrors WHEN NEEDED. But not every time you park. The bulk of the system relays on plastic parts, gears, mechanisms, etc. The system is not water tight. Ford's Kentucky truck plant builds them but does not know the final destination for each vehicle. Could be Miami, FL, or Anchorage, AK, it's pot luck where they wind up as far as Ford is concerned. And there is good reason plastic is used instead of metal, plastic fails easier! Simply put you will be glad they don't automatically fold in sub zero temps where it rains, snows, etc. They will try, try, try, try, snap, and $$$$$$ to get fixed. Get too close to the curb, and that pedestrian, texting on their cellphone, about to step into the hearafter when you hit them. Will be glad only the mirror hit them, broke away, folded in, retracted, forcefully, (there will be functional damage), and a nasty bruise is all their arm has! Ever wonder why vehicle's no longer have pop up, or retractable headlamps like Corvettes used to?! Oblivious Pedestrians! And NHTSA, DOT, NIIHS, NTSB! And most of all, STUPID HUMANS! So no! Ford is not being cheap, cheeky, slick, loose, or fast with their use of plastic gears, mechanisms, parts in the power fold mirrors. They are between a rock and a hard place, only trying to protect US from OURSELVES, because an acronym said plastic is a, "Better Idea!"

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I probably walked in on the mixed up middle of this so. If the question is, for a vehicle equipped from the factory with power fold mirrors, how do you fold them? Using the mirror adjustment switch on the drivers door, (3 position rotary), turn to center position, and pull switch straight back, mirrors will fold in. In center position pull switch straight back mirrors will fold out. Center position of rotary mirror adjustment switch controls the power fold feature. WARNING! If you are trying to get the mirrors to fold in, and out, with the ignition, IE; ignition off - Mirrors fold in. Ignition on - mirrors fold out, yes you can set that up in FORScan. BUT HERE IS WHY YOU MAY WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT! AND PROBABLY WHY FORD DOES NOT HAVE THE SYSTEM DO THIS (program it in), at/from the factory. The system is robust enough to handle folding the mirrors WHEN NEEDED. But not every time you park. The bulk of the system relays on plastic parts, gears, mechanisms, etc. The system is not water tight. Ford's Kentucky truck plant builds them but does not know the final destination for each vehicle. Could be Miami, FL, or Anchorage, AK, it's pot luck where they wind up as far as Ford is concerned. And there is good reason plastic is used instead of metal, plastic fails easier! Simply put you will be glad they don't automatically fold in sub zero temps where it rains, snows, etc. They will try, try, try, try, snap, and $$$$$$ to get fixed. Get too close to the curb, and that pedestrian, texting on their cellphone, about to step into the hearafter when you hit them. Will be glad only the mirror hit them, broke away, folded in, retracted, forcefully, (there will be functional damage), and a nasty bruise is all their arm has! Ever wonder why vehicle's no longer have pop up, or retractable headlamps like Corvettes used to?! Oblivious Pedestrians! And NHTSA, DOT, NIIHS, NTSB! And most of all, STUPID HUMANS! So no! Ford is not being cheap, cheeky, slick, loose, or fast with their use of plastic gears, mechanisms, parts in the power fold mirrors. They are between a rock and a hard place, only trying to protect US from OURSELVES, because an acronym said plastic is a, "Better Idea!"

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Pedestrians were getting impaled on the hoods of cars with the headlights folded in?

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
No, then it was just broken legs below the knee and ankles, but with the headlamps popped up! Ewe, Weeee! They was going up pedestrian's derrieres! Wasn't rocket science to figure out where the other eye to a one-eyed Miata was! Then, I mean, lordy, lordy, we can't have Mirror Link on Sync cause we might watch Sync T.V. and hit a tree! But outside the USA, they can use Mirror Link! Watch SYNC T.V., what's cha know, ain't many of them hitting trees! Now we's gots a SYNC system what's a hot mess! First, it was Microsoft SYNC, then Mirror Link SYNC, Ford Pass and SYNC, App Link SYNC, Android Auto SYNC, SYNC ah de mayo, BlackBerry SYNC, the SYNC we have T'day! And let's not forget the three ladies in the dash, Madame Ford, Amazon Alexa, and OK Google, featuring the lovely Miss Moneypenny! I am soooooo close to having a knockdown, drag-out, hair-pulling, verbal brawl goins on between at least two of them girls! Mercy and folks wonder why the acronyms have to KEEP US SAFE! Protect us from ourselves!

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, this may sound like a really stupid question to ask. I did look though and I could not find the answer -- even in the owner's manual.

My '17 XLT does not have power-fold mirrors but I want to add this option. I'm curious to know exactly how the power fold switch works. I know you first place the mirror switch in the "neutral" position, then pull back on the switch to fold the mirrors in.

My question is, once the mirrors have been folded, do you pull back on the switch again to "un-fold" them? Or, do you push forward on the switch to un-fold?

The factory wiring diagram is a bit confusing. There's one input line to the Driver Door Module for power-fold activation. The diagram appears to show the switch internally connects this input to +12V when you pull back on the knob (i.e. "up"). That makes sense. But, the diagram also appears to show that the switch internally connects this same input to ground if you push forward on the knob (i.e. "down"). That's why I was confused about the operation of the switch.

Thanks for your help and for putting up with such a seemingly silly question! :)

EDIT: The owner's manual does say to pull back to fold or un-fold. So I guess I answered my own question. Again, just wanting to confirm. . . Thanks!

So actually our 3rd gens a Pain in the butt because we don't don't have DDM & PDM (@LokiWolf) so to my understanding we can't add power fold mirrors but Lokiwolf who I t
OK, this may sound like a really stupid question to ask. I did look though and I could not find the answer -- even in the owner's manual.

My '17 XLT does not have power-fold mirrors but I want to add this option. I'm curious to know exactly how the power fold switch works. I know you first place the mirror switch in the "neutral" position, then pull back on the switch to fold the mirrors in.

My question is, once the mirrors have been folded, do you pull back on the switch again to "un-fold" them? Or, do you push forward on the switch to un-fold?

The factory wiring diagram is a bit confusing. There's one input line to the Driver Door Module for power-fold activation. The diagram appears to show the switch internally connects this input to +12V when you pull back on the knob (i.e. "up"). That makes sense. But, the diagram also appears to show that the switch internally connects this same input to ground if you push forward on the knob (i.e. "down"). That's why I was confused about the operation of the switch.

Thanks for your help and for putting up with such a seemingly silly question! :)

EDIT: The owner's manual does say to pull back to fold or un-fold. So I guess I answered my own question. Again, just wanting to confirm. . . Thanks!

So actually our 3rd gens a Pain in the butt because we don't don't have DDM & PDM (@LokiWolf) so to my understanding we can't add power fold mirrors but Lokiwolf who I tagged might be able to shed more light on this issue