Power Liftgate Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The power lift gate on my 2018 XLT stopped working. It opened and hit the garage, started to shut on me so I pressed the button in a panic. It opened, hit the garage again, then finally shut. Now it will not work. The buttons on the driver panel inside, the liftgate itself, and the key fob all release the lock. However, it doesn't attempt to open or close. There is no motor or electronic sound like it is trying to open/close. I have to manually open and close it and when I do that there is resistance and it sounds like I am forcing the motor.
Have tried enabling and disabling from display panel as well as taking out the fuse.
What else can I try? Any videos links may be helpful.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you gone into your settings to make sure the liftgate is on? I also just watched a YouTube video on resetting the tailgate.
Also clear any fault codes you may have. It may be in limp mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Have you gone into your settings to make sure the liftgate is on? I also just watched a YouTube video on reseting the tailgate.
Yes, have done that as well. I read in another thread that someone used FORSCan to run codes and after clearing the codes it solved the problem. I may try that next.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two thoughts:

Have you used your control screen settings to disable the power lift gate, then enable the power lift gate?

Have you followed the power lift gate reset instructions in the vehicle owner’s manual?

sc_slim

Reaction score
Might try lifting hatch to desired height and hold hatch button for a period of time. Had one that wouldn't lift all the way and realized it had been set to lower height accidently by someone holding button too long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lstevenson1989