Pump stops before I'm full

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grandebob

Reaction score
So I've had an interesting problem filling up my 33 gallon expy tank.

It seems most gas station pumps are set to shut off at some configure limit. Even if I pay at the pump via a credit card! The Citgo near my house shuts off the pump at $75. A Marathon I tried shut the pump off at $100. Gas in the Chicago area is floating around $3.60 a gallon. If i bleed my tank dry and cost in on fumes, it should be about $115 to fill up. It's nice only having to fill up every other week, but I wish I could fill up all the way.

Any one else have this happen to them?

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Bob, its not the truck....its the credit card or debit card you use.... because when you swipe the card it only authorizes $1.00 and some banks or credit companies put limits on these type of transactions for your security and for bank fees for overdrafts. When I had a 37' coach it held 100 gallons of gas and it would piss me off and would have to have 2 cards with with me....So I called the bank and credit companies and they either raised or lifted those limits...

OP
OP
G

grandebob

Reaction score
Bob, its not the truck....its the credit card or debit card you use.... because when you swipe the card it only authorizes $1.00 and some banks or credit companies put limits on these type of transactions for your security and for bank fees for overdrafts. When I had a 37' coach it held 100 gallons of gas and it would piss me off and would have to have 2 cards with with me....So I called the bank and credit companies and they either raised or lifted those limits...

Thanks for the advice! I may have use two different cards when I filled up. I'll have to pay more attention next time I do. Once I filled up my Father-in-laws boat at the dock to the tune of $350 on one of the cards. I have some research to do.

100 gallons! holy crap!

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Yeah, Ford V-10 getting 11.5mpg with pretending there was a egg between my foot and the gas pedal...LOL....Yeah, gas prices keep going and the banks never thought about that it could cost 100 or more to fill your tank??? and its only gonna go higher...we need to send Freeway and some of his buddies over and secure a couple of Iraq's oil field's and pump 18.5 trillion in oil to repay us for the war.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have had this issue with my 44gal tank in my excursion since i got one. the limit on the card is set by the station. most here are $100 or even $125(which still does not fill my excursion up lol) but some stations are at $75 still. i have even had issues before with the expedition if i was flat out empty (30 gal tank)

not the trucks issue as you have found out..but the station you use.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is fool the system. When you swiped your debit card the machine will ask "debit or credit" even if it isnt a credit card select credit and enter the zip code. Then it will let you fill it up. On debit cards it wont. Plus the money still comes out of your checking account.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
orrrrrrrr...do what i do when this happens...hang up the pump and start again...same money is being spent just 2 transactions...

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could just do what I do and leave it at the $75 and be done with it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here it doesnt matter if its credit or debit they limit at $75/$100/$125 :(

er do have one old station thats like the old days. pull up, flip the pump and fill it up then pay! very nice old guy owns it.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I have to agree with SG...they could drop my limit to 25.00, seems lately that's all I have if im lucky..LOL