Rack & Pinion Play in Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so I definitely have some play in my steering and I already replaced the steering shaft with u joints. When I play with the free play in the wheel the entire shaft turns back-and-forth all the way to the rack and pinion. During that time the tire rods are not budging if I give it a little more effort pass the FreePlay then the tie rods start moving. So I know it’s the rack and pinion having play. Is there a way to tighten up that little play in the rack? I found the screw or bolt that loosens and Toghtens but it has a plastic cap. I posted a photo if I turn to tighten that cap will it tighten my steering? I have nearly 200,000 miles.. posting a picture93BB90B9-806A-4A10-8AE0-42152F8BB817.jpeg

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried adjusting it. Go get yourself a rebuilt rack, preferably a Motorcraft and call it a day. That's what I did.

I have successfully adjusted steering racks and recently my daughters 2003 Monte Carlo, but not on the Expedition.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried adjusting it. Go get yourself a rebuilt rack, preferably a Motorcraft and call it a day. That's what I did.

I have successfully adjusted steering racks and recently my daughters 2003 Monte Carlo, but not on the Expedition.
Are you saying you didn't try adjusting the Expedition rack? Or you tried, but were unsuccessful?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that was clearly yet another example of my full thoughts not getting typed I'm sorry to say. I know I wanted to adjust it, as noted I've done it other vehicles. At this point I can't remember if I tried and failed or if I found out I couldn't do the same on this one. I know did a bunch of research into it due to the different dust cover and such. I ended up replacing it, and then 22 months later the Motorcraft reman was replaced under warranty due to excessive play.

I also know adjusting the gear lash can cause problems as most of our steering racks wear only right in the middle. Then we adjust out that play and it makes it too tight as you turn and I've known of people over doing it and the steering rack can get stuck. On my daughters car I turned the wheels a bit to get the steering rack off center and then adjusted the gear lash until it felt snug at the steering wheel and backed off a tiny bit. This worked out to get rid of almost all the play and we decided it was adequate for the time.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Eightiesrock80 I checked the Ford shop manual and did not see anything regarding backlash adjustments to the rack. It only describes removal and installation, and doesn't show any adjustment screws or similar. Did you make sure its not your inner tie rod that is the problem? The rack and pinion can definitely wear out, but it is rare on these. Let me know what you end up doing, or if you already did.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand reman did you use? I wish more OEM parts were available for our 20+ year old vehicles! I'd pay a premium for OEM. I'm literally trying to drive mine till the wheels fall off... or maybe I should say "trying to drive the wheels off!" I'm hard on mine, but keeping it on the road is still significantly cheaper than buying new or slightly used.