Seeking guidance with preparing for the timing overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spav8r

Reaction score
I am getting prepared to have to do the timing system overhaul on my 2014. I have watched most if not all of Makuloko's videos so to understand what I'm getting myself into. I've started putting together carts on amazon and other sites trying to make sure I have all of the parts necessary to complete the job in one go. Is there a list/spreadsheet anywhere on here, or anywhere for that matter, that lists all of the parts I will need to order?

Also, I am planning on doing the Melling oil pump, but was wondering what the general opinion on using the cast iron Melling tensioners was. It seems to me that they are better than the OEM plastic ones, but I want to do this job right on the first go.

sboychuck

Reaction score
I believe he lists all the parts and part numbers in the four part series. He also lists all the special tools. He also recommends the non-ratcheting adjusters that are made of composite materials.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll prob need a puller for the crank pulley, valve spring compressor, and crank alignment tool. All unique to that motor. I like the cast ratcheting tensioners. No slack on startup. I used those on my 5.4 about 20k ago, along with the high volume stock pressure oil pump. Replaced all followers too, as my passenger side followers had some slop in the rollers. You need to remove all of them anyhow for the chains.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you doing it because you know the followers are bad, or just getting ahead of it? Love to hear how it progresses. How many miles on your truck? Mine’s also a 2014 with about 82k and no signs or sounds of a problem. Yeah, I know…it’s not if, it’s when.

proftomda

Reaction score
I did the timing system replacement on my sons 2008 F150 5.4 6 years ago and followed Makuloco’s videos to a tee. I used the Melling oil pump and cast iron tensioners and it purrs like kitten 6 years and 50,000 miles later. BTW, my 2001 expedition has 300,000 miles with all original timing components to include the cast iron tensioners. Use 5w-30 oil with 5,000 mile change intervals, keep oil at full level and you have a bulletproofed engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rfbritt3