Special Service Message 52295 - 2023-2024 Expedition/Navigator + F-150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Rattle/Scraping Noise From Bellhousing Area On Start-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 52295 - 2021-2023 F-150, 2023-2024 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Rattle/Scraping Noise From Bellhousing Area On Start-Up

Some 2021-2023 F-150 and 2023-2024 Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a rattle/scraping noise from the bellhousing area on start-up. This may be due to the torque converter studs contacting the engine-to-transmission spacer plate (separator plate). To correct this condition, remove the transmission and flexplate and inspect the engine-to-transmission spacer plate and torque converter studs for wear/damage. If wear/damage is found, replace engine-to-transmission spacer plate. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM) Section 303-01 Engine - 3.5L EcoBoost (BM), Removal and Installation, Crankshaft Rear Seal. When reinstalling the starter motor, be sure the starter is flush with the engine-to-transmission spacer plate prior to tightening the stud-bolts. Failure to do so may result in damaging newly installed engine-to-transmission spacer plate.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford is restating this information to the Service Community...

Special Service Message 52610 - 2023-2024 Expedition/Navigator + F-150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Rattle/Scraping Noise From Bellhousing Area On Start-Up

Some 2021-2024 F-150 and 2023-2024 Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a rattle/scraping noise from the bellhousing area on start-up. This may be due to the torque converter studs contacting the engine-to-transmission spacer plate (separator plate). To correct this condition, remove the transmission and flexplate and inspect the engine-to-transmission spacer plate and torque converter studs for wear/damage. If wear/damage is found, replace the engine-to-transmission spacer plate. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM) Section 303-01 Engine - 3.5L EcoBoost (BM), Removal and Installation, Crankshaft Rear Seal. When reinstalling the starter motor, make sure the starter is flush with the engine-to-transmission spacer plate prior to tightening the studbolts. Failure to do so may result in damaging the newly installed engine-to-transmission spacer plate.

The referenced Workshop Manual section and a complementing section are attached below as PDF documents...

Attachments

• Crankshaft Rear Seal - Removal and Installation - 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Flexplate - Removal and Installation - 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    323 KB · Views: 8

Har0ld

Reaction score
Har0ld,

I have a ‘24 F-150 and believe I am experiencing this. Did the dealer get back to you?
I just got off the phone with them, long story short, they’re trying to tell me VCT’s. I sent them a copy of the SSM and he’s checking into it. VCT’s is NOT the noise I heard. They gave us an F150 XLT as a loaner, we just have to swap it out every 500 miles. Which for us is once every 7-10 days.

Har0ld

Reaction score
Apparently they couldn’t not only duplicate the problem but they couldn’t find the SSM under 52295. It was listed under SSM 52610. More to follow….

Har0ld

Reaction score
Har0ld,

I have a ‘24 F-150 and believe I am experiencing this. Did the dealer get back to you?
Mechanic drove it home yesterday for a thermal cycle and still nothing. Maybe what I am hearing is normal, definitely nothing I’ve heard before though. Do you have a sound clip of your noise by chance? That’s my next step is to record it. But was hoping to compare.

Thanks