Steering Grinding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Hi Team, noticed a low grinding sound when turning the wheel to the right on our 2019 MAX. A normal person probably wouldn’t notice it but I’m a bit wacky when it come to this stuff.

It’s especially noticeable when I’m backing up. At first I thought it was the tire rubbing on something as that’s how it sounds, it’s a low pitched noise, but when I stop the car and keep the wheel turned it’s still making the sound so rules out the tire rubbing.

It drones in and out, not constant, but when you’re sitting at idle with the wheel turned it’s there. I haven’t noticed it turning to the left but I normally back out with the wheel turned right.

Any ideas? Thanks!

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If 2 wheel drive and a 2019 it sounds like the tires have been upgraded ( possibly to a bigger size) or the fender liner got damaged. Fender liner is some hard formed fabric. Have you crawled under neath?

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
It has electric power steering, could be wrong, there’s no fluid to check?

I don’t turn it to the stops ever, but the sound starts as your turning the wheel. As I mentioned, it sounds exactly like the tire rubbing on the fender liner but it makes the sound when the car is stationary.

Now that I think of it, I haven’t tried putting it in park while it’s making this sound. For all I know it could be
The transmission!? We’ve had it replaced at 30kmi already so this one may be going.

If it’s not that, maybe the electric power steering motors are going bad?

Stay tuned!

rmillis

Reaction score
2019 possibly Cam Phaser, Turbo Waste Gate, Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Search this site on this topic, lots of good information
Just had to bring my 2023 in for a Turbo Waste Gate issue. Check engine light came on and had reduced power. I had noticed an issue with knocking when doing sharp turns backing out of parking spaces, not sure if that's related to the issue here. This is issue #6 for me in my 2 years of ownership. Awesome quality for a $70k+ vehicle.... Turbo waste gate was repaired and replaced, praying I don't have more issues pop up.

James3336

Reaction score
I have the same problem with 2015. I've researched and found nothing of consequence. I'm preparing to start some dis- assembly diagnosis and I'll let you know what I find. Just a sub-note, I'm a Master Technician with over 45 years experience and this one has me baffled.