Steering vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fngNTx

Reaction score
2017 XLT. 138K miles. low speed and high speeds. I am feeling a vibration and what sounds like an old slow running compressor as I turn to the right. It is more of an auditory vibration than one I can feel. Right turns only. I have searched and all I can find concerns 4WD and limited slip differential.
I have scanned every module on the truck with Forscan and I don't get any codes anywhere. The vibration increases in pitch as speed increases. It almost sounds like the tire is rubbing on something.
Any insight? Should I start with the differential even if it is not limited slip.
Is the electric power steering something I can diagnose or troubleshoot?
Apologies if this is a redundant thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fngNTx

Reaction score
OK. Both front wheels lifted and reved to about 1200 RPM. I get an extreme "wobble" feel in the wheel. When turning the wheel left or right it is not a smooth transition. Hard to describe and I am not smart enough to load a video.
I do think the problem is the power steering or the rack & pinion unit.

jking2979

Reaction score
I would jack each individually and spin by hand. Sorry, should have been more clear. Check the bearings by grabbing the tire at 12:00 & 6:00 and see if you can rock them in and out. This should troubleshoot anything rubbing (ie, brakes or dust shields) and verify if it's a bearing problem.

You'll have to put it in neutral and block the wheels to check the rears.

If you can unplug the iwe vacuum line at the solenoid and apply vacuum via hand pump to unlock the front wheels from the front diff - it will isolate the front diff from this test also.

If your hearing it while driving it should be obvious if it's one of these things with this testing and let you know if you need to look further into the drivetrain.

Could be a number of things so it takes some methodical troubleshooting to keep from unloading the parts cannon.

jking2979

Reaction score
If it's right turns only, I would expect you to find something on the driver's side due to it being loaded during the turn. Don't overlook the rear wheels- sound travels very strangely in these vehicles

OP
OP
F

fngNTx

Reaction score
Yes. I did check the bearings. The front end is tight. It is a 2WD so no front differential. I am taking it to a local mechanic for diagnostic this morning.

dpcole78681

Reaction score
I am having this exact problem. Took it to the dealership as it is still under warranty and they could not find any issue. Did you ever find out the cause of the noise/vibration?

OP
OP
F

fngNTx

Reaction score
It turned out to be the wheel bearing on the left side. I could not feel it with the wheel lifted. It required disassembly.