Time for new tires, thinking maybe wheels to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fenixis

Reaction score
Hello, my first post here and I did search through the forums for some information but I didn't quite see what I was looking for so I am hoping someone can help. I have a 2020 Max Limited with the Stealth package that came with the 22" wheels and I am thinking of going down to 20" wheels as I am not really all that fond of the 22s. I went up to Discount Tire today and they gave me some recommendations for wheels like the XD820 Grenade, but it has a 18mm offset. From my understanding that is going to cause the tire to stick out from the vehicle a little bit. I noticed a few pictures on other threads with people that have 18mm offsets but it didn't look to bad, am I just overthinking this? Also if someone has some recommendations I am more than open to them. I really am not sure where to start and have been combing forums for any information I can get.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, my first post here and I did search through the forums for some information but I didn't quite see what I was looking for so I am hoping someone can help. I have a 2020 Max Limited with the Stealth package that came with the 22" wheels and I am thinking of going down to 20" wheels as I am not really all that fond of the 22s. I went up to Discount Tire today and they gave me some recommendations for wheels like the XD820 Grenade, but it has a 18mm offset. From my understanding that is going to cause the tire to stick out from the vehicle a little bit. I noticed a few pictures on other threads with people that have 18mm offsets but it didn't look to bad, am I just overthinking this? Also if someone has some recommendations I am more than open to them. I really am not sure where to start and have been combing forums for any information I can get.
Honestly, I would just get factory wheels from Expedition or F150, either 20 inches or 18 inches, and then buy reputable tires.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Well, regardless of whether you get OEM or aftermarket wheels, I would suggest that you don't go less than 20" for durability and ride quality reasons, unless you're specifically wanting that "pimp wagon" look and don't mind getting bounced around if/when you hit even a small pothole, speed bump or other obstacle...or never haul anything beyond groceries...

It came with 22" rims for a reason...it's a big, heavy vehicle that needs fairly large tires & rims to support it :D

As for the offset, you are correct that it will probably cause the tires to stick out a little, which if minimal, is not really a big issue and will actually look pretty nice if done correctly with some good looking tires...

HOWEVER, 2 other things to consider:

A) If you drive on a lot of dirt/gravel/rocky roads, you will be getting more debris thrown up onto your running boards, rocker panels, doors and back quarter panels than normal, which will cause more nicks, dents & scratches than necessary. Of course this can be resolved with the addition of some aftermarket fender flares, if that's within your realm of consideration..

B) In some states, tires that stick out beyond the fenders, even a little (without the above added flares), are illegal and could get you a big, fat ticket....just sayin

And finally, Discount Tire is the LAST place I would ever go to for tires & especially aftermarket wheels (well, except wallyworld/Sam's)...been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN !
:)

Good luck with whatever you chose to do, and please post pics showing the results...

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fenixis

Reaction score
Well, regardless of whether you get OEM or aftermarket wheels, I would suggest that you don't go less than 20" for durability and ride quality reasons, unless you're specifically wanting that "pimp wagon" look and don't mind getting bounced around if/when you hit even a small pothole, speed bump or other obstacle...or never haul anything beyond groceries...

It came with 22" rims for a reason...it's a big, heavy vehicle that needs fairly large tires & rims to support it :D

As for the offset, you are correct that it will probably cause the tires to stick out a little, which if minimal, is not really a big issue and will actually look pretty nice if done correctly with some good looking tires...

HOWEVER, 2 other things to consider:

A) If you drive on a lot of dirt/gravel/rocky roads, you will be getting more debris thrown up onto your running boards, rocker panels, doors and back quarter panels than normal, which will cause more nicks, dents & scratches than necessary. Of course this can be resolved with the addition of some aftermarket fender flares, if that's within your realm of consideration..

B) In some states, tires that stick out beyond the fenders, even a little (without the above added flares), are illegal and could get you a big, fat ticket....just sayin

And finally, Discount Tire is the LAST place I would ever go to for tires & especially aftermarket wheels...been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN !
:)

Good luck with whatever you chose to do, and please post pics showing the results...
The 2020 could come with 20s or 22s stock, mine just happened to come with the 22s, I wasn't going to go any lower than that. I am not really going for any type of look, more just ride quality. The fines from them sticking out is one of the things that worries me, as where we are right now it doesn't seem to be an issue, but with my wife being in the military that could change rather quickly. As for places to go I would take any recommendations honestly. I have used Discount for tires a few times and never had issues, wheels on the other hand I have never replaced other than with a random broken one that got a OEM replacement years ago.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Discount Tire has a catalogue online to view the wheels. Pick some options and see if they'll do a test fit. You can also find photographs on here and other forums.

OP
OP
F

Fenixis

Reaction score
Discount Tire has a catalogue online to view the wheels. Pick some options and see if they'll do a test fit. You can also find photographs on here and other forums.
I never thought of asking about doing a test fit, I will ask them about that. As for photographs I did find some but I guess I was more looking for something straight on or down where the wheel was to see the difference and I couldn't find any that really did that. Thanks.

CDNRabbit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Max 304A and run 20s in the winter. Honestly I prefer the ride on the 20s and don't feel like I've sacrificed much in handling.

Most dedicated wheel/tire shops do rim test fittings (box stores don't). I've even had my shop mount a tire for me when I asked nicely.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 18 offset will not stick out much at all on the front... The rear will be about flush.

I have vossen 22x9.5 +20mm offset and I think it is the perfect amount. 2mm more is nothing.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate wheel poke I think it looks terrible aside from flinging rocks dirt up.

1 - Determine the existing factory offset first.
2 - Find the tire size if its wider you may want to go in a little on the offset.
3 - Look high and low. I exhausted tire rack and many places until I found a company that made the spec I wanted.
4 - Shop many places and decide the look and poke ahead of time.

OP
OP
F

Fenixis

Reaction score
The 18 offset will not stick out much at all on the front... The rear will be about flush.

I have vossen 22x9.5 +20mm offset and I think it is the perfect amount. 2mm more is nothing.
Awesome thanks, after looking some more I was leaning towards 25-30mm offset. I found a site to compare not only tire size but offset and the 30s with the 275/55/r20s come almost right in line with what I have on it now according to them. I am looking for a better tire shop but it seems Discount, Costco, Walmart, and a place called Big O is really my only local options I can find for tire/wheel shops near me. Thanks again for the info.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agetech