Time for new tires, thinking maybe wheels to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Fenixis

Reaction score
I hate wheel poke I think it looks terrible aside from flinging rocks dirt up.

1 - Determine the existing factory offset first.
2 - Find the tire size if its wider you may want to go in a little on the offset.
3 - Look high and low. I exhausted tire rack and many places until I found a company that made the spec I wanted.
4 - Shop many places and decide the look and poke ahead of time.
Yeah, I don't really care for the poke either, and I really don't want extra crap thrown up at the vehicle. The 2020 comes stock with 44 offset for the 22s, I think the stock 20s are also 44. They do sit well inside the wheel well on the back and the front has a good inch of clearance I think. I mentioned it above but I am having a hard time finding anything but the chain stores near me. I am going to see if I can get any recommendations from some locals.

Flathead40

Reaction score
Curious to see what you go with because we are considering doing the same thing. The ride quality of the 22s is not great especially with the amount of gravel roads we see. Thinking going with 20s either aftermarket or OEM take offs. The trouble is finding wheels that look like they belong on the vehicle.
The OEMs are 20x8.5 with 44mm offset. I think 20x9s with 20 to 40 mm of offset would work fine if going the aftermarket route.

OP
OP
F

Fenixis

Reaction score
I found a guy nearby that had some black 20s off a 2021 expedition. So now I just need to decide if I want to go with just better all season (most likely the defenders) or some all terrain tires (looking at the KO2s).

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome thanks, after looking some more I was leaning towards 25-30mm offset. I found a site to compare not only tire size but offset and the 30s with the 275/55/r20s come almost right in line with what I have on it now according to them. I am looking for a better tire shop but it seems Discount, Costco, Walmart, and a place called Big O is really my only local options I can find for tire/wheel shops near me. Thanks again for the info.

I also thought I wanted the +30 offset but I loved vossen wheels so I just to the risk and bought them with the 20mm and glad I did.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
it seems Discount, Costco, Walmart, and a place called Big O
I don't shop @Costco, so I can't speak about their operations, but I can tell you this....NEVER, EVER, NEVER go to wallyworld (or Sam's) for tires or wheels.....they are way worse than DiscowT, and that means absolutely horrible, as their so-called "techs" (& I use that term loosely) are about 0.050 steps above the tweenie-bot kiddies they have working in the electronics dept...

Also don't be fooled by those mickey-mouse "training certifications" they have plastered all over the wall...most of them are either counterfeit or so outdated it's just hilarious :(

Never heard of Big O, unless you meant O'Reilly's, which I don't think does tire or wheel work..at least not where I live...

aj1936

Reaction score
OEM wheels and Michelin Defenders.
THIS!!

I Got a set of OEM timberline 18” rims and the defenders and the ride is fantastic. Setup is now:

‘23 SPP with sport tuned suspension
18” timberline rims
Michelin Defender 2
Helwig rear sway bar upgrade

A great roadtrip beast!

Note: you can substitute tremor rims which are nearly identical except for the finish.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running Firestone Destination AT/2s on the stock 22s. Ride is much better than the oem tires and looks pretty good too, in my opinion...

Attachments

• IMG_20240805_100655.jpg
    IMG_20240805_100655.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 19

Moeman

Reaction score
We bought a 22 XLT specifically trying to buy something with the least amount of electronics possible due to lots of bad luck lately with buggy software on vehicles. We hated how it looked, but decided we'd customize a bit with the money we saved by not going with the higher trim levels. That aside, we replaced the stock 20's with 20's that had +18 offset. We went slightly larger on tires - 275/60. This config has just enough clearance, but doesn't look like I could go any bigger or the tire will likely rub on the front splash shield.

In my opinion, I don't like how Exp's look in stock form with the wheels inset so far. +18 looks perfect to me, tires end up just 1/2" or so proud of the fender. Yes, you get a little bit of extra splash on the side of the vehicle, but very little. Not noticeable to us. We think the vehicle rides like crap from the factory, so didn't notice that it really got any better or worse with the new wheels.

BigOleFordFam mentioned durability problems by going smaller - wrong. Bigger tire sidewall transfers less impact to suspension components. I was a mfg engineer on F150 for years. Around 2006 we were adding 20", or maybe 22" wheels to the lineup, and I took part in dozens of meetings reviewing potential changes that would need to be made to the suspension and steering systems to deal with the higher impact forces. You'd be amazed how much that smaller sidewall beats up the suspension.

And Discount Tire did well for me. We bought the wheels from Custom Offsets. Balance as delivered was horrendous. I took them to DT to rebalance and they did a great job.

Last edited:

tlahnala

Reaction score
I went down to 18” and bought BFG K03’s. The performance is good for what I do and where I live (Northern Michigan). IMG_7125.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoney