Tom’s 2014 XLT 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My steering wheel was showing some pretty significant wear. I found a place in Texas that specializes in steering wheel reconditioning (Craft Customs). I had them also add a little extra padding to give the wheel a fatter grip.

Because I had to send the steering wheel to Texas, I got a replacement wheel from the junkyard- which also allowed me a chance to practice how to remove the steering wheel and the air bag and all the buttons.

The end result is great.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpeg
    IMG_2674.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate (fake) wood trim almost as much as I hate chrome and chrome trim. I decided to cover the fake wood trim with fake carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

Watched a YouTube video and went for it. It wasn’t too hard. A little learning curve, but not bad.

I also sanded down the chrome trim and door pulls to give it a brushed look. Looks less chrome of more like machined aluminum.

I did this in 2 sessions several months apart, so here is the final product.

Attachments

• IMG_5641.jpeg
    IMG_5641.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5642.jpeg
    IMG_5642.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4961.jpeg
    IMG_4961.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4962.jpeg
    IMG_4962.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4963.jpeg
    IMG_4963.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Pioneer head unit that I installed a couple years ago gave me the “white screen of death” which is apparently common with Pioneer head units. The solder connections aren’t good enough to handle vibrations over time. Sometimes the radio would work, sometimes it wouldn’t.

I have a JVC head unit in my Explorer that sees serious vibrations. This same unit was previously installed in my 2000 Expedition, so it’s seen some miles. And according to the rep at Crutchfield, JVC is known for better longevity compared to Pioneer.

I ordered a new JVC head unit and dispatched the Pioneer with extreme prejudice.

Attachments

• IMG_4341.jpeg
    IMG_4341.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4345.jpeg
    IMG_4345.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Michelins Primacy on the F150 wheels I bought were starting to really stink with their winter performance. I estimated that the tires has about 42k miles on them (my miles plus what the seller told me).

I didn’t want to go with a full blown “all terrain” tire since this thing lives on pavement. I found these “on road all terrain” tires from Falken and decided to give them a try. The Coopers and Michelins were both P-rated tires and these Falken Wildpeak AT3W-A tires are LT.

The AT3W-A have a more constant center rib, which gives them good road manners and have just enough chunk on them to make them look decent.

An LT tire is supposed to be run at a higher inflation pressure than what’s on the door. You need to find the tire manufacturer’s inflation table and compare your vehicle’s axle weights. Doing all that, I came up with 47 psi. Seems to ride well and I’m going on 9 months and wear is negligible. I keep a log of various decibel readings (phone app) while driving at different speeds and these aren’t really any louder than the Michelin highway tires. Really like these tires.

I helped a buddy mount the Falkens to the F150 wheels and we swapped the Michelins over to my factory Expedition wheels. I think I sold the old stuff for about $200.

The Excursion in the shop next to mine was pretty sweet!

Attachments

• IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4035.jpeg
    IMG_4035.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4036.jpeg
    IMG_4036.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4034.jpeg
    IMG_4034.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting an intake was something I went back and forth on for a long time. I’ve heard from other people that the 5.4 makes an annoying sound with an intake- but I’d not experienced it for myself. I knew that the factory intake was also a cold air intake and probably filtered better than a K&N or similar filter that you’d use with an aftermarket intake. But that part of me that just can’t leave well enough alone won out.

Initially, I too thought the intake made an annoying noise while accelerating hard. But over time it either grew on me or I just don’t notice it anymore.

The butt dyno definitely registers a couple extra ponies. Right after I installed it, I took a road trip. When passing semis, it seemed to have an extra punch that I had not felt before- and I had taken many road trips with this before the intake.

The K&N filter was short lived though. A few days after installation, it started running rough after a cold start. I ordered an AEM dry filter to replace it (and cleaned the MAF). Haven’t had any issues since.

Improvements in MPGs? Maybe. I’d have to dive into my fuel up records and look. Lots of other variables too, so hard to attribute any change to the intake. Hasn’t hurt MPGs though.

Attachments

• IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An oil separator/catch can was some “low hanging fruit” on my list of “desired mods”. Yes- I keep a list. I don’t really rank them per-say, but you know what I mean.

This is one thing I have no experience with. I know they are particularly beneficial for direct injected engines, but on “traditional” engines like the 5.4, the benefits might not be as prominent. I watched a bunch of videos on them and read up on them and decided to buy one.

I decided on a JLT from summitracing.com. I’d have to look and see if they claim it fits a 2014 or not- I know their bracket to attach to the firewall does not work at all: I had to space it away farther. I used a hurricane strap left over from a building project that I had laying around. My bracket works great.

I recently changed my oil and dumped the catch can. I had about 3-4,000 miles on the catch can and I got maybe an ounce worth of oil. Not a ton, but it was surprising to see. It certainly works. I haven’t noticed any changes to performance (not expecting any) since installed.

It’s a nice piece. Very well built. Except for the bracket issue, it’s plug’n’play with OE style connectors on the hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sway bars. Ford offered the rear in 3 different sizes and all fronts are the same. My rear happened to be the largest.

So why upgrade? Facebook Marketplace will do crazy things to you…..

I found a set of Hellwig sway bars for $300. One was used and one was still new in the box. I had $200 in my Venmo from something I did where I wasn’t expecting money- so it was like free money.

Before I installed them, I got new end links. Figured 175k miles on the factory ones was long enough.

I did both at the same time so I can’t comment on individual improvements from each. But they are definitely stiffer. Cornering is flatter- not that I corner fast in this thing.

Would I do it again knowing what I know now? I don’t know. For $100 ($200 with the new end links), sure. For full price (like >$700 + $100 in end links): no way.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khwolf13