Took my 2020 into dealer last week for….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Molardog

Reaction score
…warranty hvac and transmission work (both TBD) and they gave me a loaner 2024 F150 brand spanking new and Ive noticed that the 10 spd in it DOES NOT skip gears when driving in normal mode like our Expy does which really performs alot better imo. I am wondering if I should inquire with the service writer about possibly reflashing the TCM to make it not skip gears….has anyone tried this?

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Transmission work should fix skip. Hope your under warranty, it could be big $$

You need to have service advisor add the “skips gears when shifting” to repair order

OP
OP
M

Molardog

Reaction score
Thankfully we have it covered under Ford ESP….

Seems I have read that the skip shift feature in normal drive mode in these vehicles is intentional. Which makes me wonder why the loaner I am driving now doesnt do it. Did Ford think that skipping gears was a contributing factor to the 10r80 issues?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its normal for the expy trans to skip gears. (go from 3 to 5, 4 to 6, Etc..) Ford will not change this as its normal function in Normal mode. If its possible to change this in Normal mode to not skip gears, u can maybe have it done at a independent tuning shop. But then your warranty would be voided if they see that the computer was changed?

Last edited:

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can clear/reset the TCM in ForScan. It will shift a lot better, but eventually go back to shifting the way you drive.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its all driven by the EPA so they try to squeeze MPG by skipping gears.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Sport and Tow/Haul do not skip gears. Tow/Haul will get you no-skip without the harsher ride Sport adds, though the rev-matching downshifts are less comfortable than normal/eco. My parents' 2022 does not skip gears in any mode, so that's something they changed in later year models.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I was doing some investigating and ran across a site talking about current class action suits and lemon laws for new under warranty vehicles.
As I was reading, I found this statement:
According to Ford, the shifting issues experienced by some drivers are due to the “adaptive transmission shift strategy,” which is intended to improve shift quality by allowing the car’s computer to learn the transmission’s parameters.
With that said, I read on the forums that some people have turned off the TCM learning in Forscan. This may help as every time I reset my TCM, my tranny shifts smooth and skips less gears. Then it starts learning my habits again and starts shifting differently and even loses some torque.

OP
OP
M

Molardog

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion everyone. I am expecting the dealer is planning to replace the valve body in the transmission per the TSB. Given the known design flaw in the clutch drum I am not optimistic of that resolving our harsh shift issues. Particularly since the problem has persisted since day one of ownership at 0 miles, albeit intermittently.

Has anyone here had their valve body replaced and NOT had to return for a rebuild/swap of the transmission thereafter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhmurphy1960