Towing???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crusher

Reaction score
I'm now towing about 5500 lbs with an 2004 Escalade and it tows very well. I'd like to buy an 2008 Expy but am somewhat suspect of it's towing capability. I know it is rated to tow 9000 lbs but I also know it has less torque and HP then the Escalade that is rated to tow 8000 lbs. Doesn't seem logical to me.

So my question.....is there anyone here that tows that kind of weight with Expy and if so your comments and opinions please.

I did a search and came up empty.......

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i tow about 6500 no problem. i have a 97 with the 5.4. the whole reason the expedition can tow more is the frame and suspension can support more than the escalade.

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^ When i towed that blazer a while back i posted pics a while ago of my X had no problems it was like there was nothing behind me hope this guides toward a ford:)

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The Expedition will tow 9000 pounds -- but only if you order the factory HD towing package! Don't assume it's there. Dealer stocking recommendation is less than 10% HD tow as I recall. Like your Escalade, these are mainly country club vehicles, not trucks.

Standard maximum towing capacity is 6000 pounds and any weight in the vehicle decreases that pound for pound.

I bought our '07 Expedition specifically to tow our Roo 23SS camper at right about 5000 pounds. My Explorer pulled for three seasons but I was never happy. For the extra $350 the HD towing package added all the wiring and HD engine and transmission radiators to boost the tow rating to the 9000 pound range.

The 5.4 Triton engine puts out a maximim of 365 lb-ft of torque at 3750 (well above towing range) and 310 lb-ft at a mere 1500 rpm. Towing has never felt slow with this engine and the 6-speed gearbox.

The brick-like aerodynamic shape of our camper tows nicely at 65mph in 6th gear (1800 rpm) on flat roads and rarely shifts lower than 4th in the PA mountains.

QTUCR-79779959-IMG_0708.JPG

-- Chuck

Last edited:

van_

Reaction score
We tow 6000 lb with an 05 Expedition without any issues.

edmguy

Reaction score
I work for a truck rental company and while we mainly have trucks, we have quite a few Expeditions and Tahoe/Suburbans so I have towed my trailer with several different vehicles.

The Expedition is definitely a better tow vehicle than any of the large GM suv's which is why I ended up buying one. They may have a bit less power, but the power is at a lower rpm and the chassis seems better at handling the weight of a trailer. I always noticed the trailer pulling at the suv more with the GM's than with the Expeditions.

For comparison, my trailer is 4500lbs dry.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The escallade isn't geared to a towing audience. Also its not just power that determines tow capacity. The power, transmission, stability, and ability to stop determines it. Don't beleive I've missed one. My 2V 4.6 has quite a bit of power, but its all top end which isn't practical for towing. Typically you don't want to be in a low gear cruising just to keep your rpms up to get the power. For many reasons such as economy.

Expy_4Winds

Reaction score
New member to the forum -- just ordered & received my new 2008 XLT with 5.4L and HD tow package to pull our 20" travel trailer around the Colorado mountains. I had been doing this with a very underpowered 4.7L Dodge Durango. I liked the 9000# trailer rating advertised for the 2008 Expedition.

I realized the XLT I ordered has the factory 3.31 axle ratio, not the 3.73 (found out this 3.73 is an additional option that does not come with the HD tow package). All the Ford manuals rate my vehicle for 9000# trailer towing (I use a weight distributing hitch), but I'm concerned I'll be disappointed with its performance pulling over the mountain passes. Any thoughts?

Also, I believe it's best to tow in 2WD on flat surfaces, but should I shift to 4WD Auto over the steep climbing grades or just keep it in 2WD & only go 4WD Auto in wet/gravel road conditions?

Finally, does anyone know if turning off the O/D turns off both the 5th and 6th gears on the tranny?

Thanks!