Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Limited Man

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited. I was having some issues with the transmission shifting rough and feeling jerky. I wasn’t sure if it was normal with the 10 speed. I took it to the Ford dealership on May 28th and a few days later they told me the transmission needs a full overhaul at 67K miles for a cost of $8,400. It’s been there ever since. I bought an extended warranty plan and they are covering about $7,400 and I have to pay the difference. I just purchased this vehicle back in December of last year. Im extremely disappointed with this and I’m heavily considering selling it. I really need some advice from my fellow owners…

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited. I was having some issues with the transmission shifting rough and feeling jerky. I wasn’t sure if it was normal with the 10 speed. I took it to the Ford dealership on May 28th and a few days later they told me the transmission needs a full overhaul at 67K miles for a cost of $8,400. It’s been there ever since. I bought an extended warranty plan and they are covering about $7,400 and I have to pay the difference. I just purchased this vehicle back in December of last year. Im extremely disappointed with this and I’m heavily considering selling it. I really need some advice from my fellow owners…

If you only need to pay $1000 out of your pocket to replace the transmission, I would say you are extremely lucky.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure labor is a big chunk of that $8400... pulling the engine and tranny, and replacing them has to be like 10 hours or something, especially on a 4x4.. dealers are charging $250/hour or more these days, at least around here.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait... u shouldnt have to pay anything other than a deductible if u have a service plan? am i missing something? What plan do u have?

prenticect

Reaction score
so I have a 2020, and it has the big clunking when downshifting from 4-3, 3-2, and 9-8. But not all the time. I know these issues exist, but not all require this overhaul. But given this well known issue, I am deabting seeing if I can get an extended warranty. it only has 34k miles on it, but factory expired as it is 4 years old. I am curious what plan you have and a follow up to the question above about a deductible.

bobbykhoury113

Reaction score
I have a 2019 XLT with 57k having the same issues with transmission slipping and kicking from 2-3 and getting stuck for a sec on 4 gear. I made an appointment to get it checked out and hoping it’s a simple fix. This is my Ford vehicle and if it is not a simple fix, will be my last Ford.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so I have a 2020, and it has the big clunking when downshifting from 4-3, 3-2, and 9-8. But not all the time. I know these issues exist, but not all require this overhaul. But given this well known issue, I am deabting seeing if I can get an extended warranty. it only has 34k miles on it, but factory expired as it is 4 years old. I am curious what plan you have and a follow up to the question above about a deductible.
Isn't powertrain warranty 5yr/60k miles?

prenticect

Reaction score
OH! I am mistaken then. Yes I am covered still. Thanks for pointing that out. STill like to know what the OP is using for warrenty

mijoedoc

Reaction score
I had the CDF Drum replaced on our 2020 Platinum at 59,996 miles (just under the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty). It was in the shop for 26 days in May. I got lucky to be under warranty, but I wrote a letter to Ford Corporate Customer Relationship Center and the owner and general manager of the dealership expressing my frustration with Ford knowing they have these transmission issues, but will not do a recall. I recently got a call from Ford Customer Relationship to discuss my concerns. I told them I was concerned with potential repairs I will have to do in the future now that is out of warranty. They offered me a complimentary 3 year/36,000 mile extended service plan to help remedy my concerns. I had not expected them to do anything when I wrote the letter (I was basically venting). But I do appreciate their follow-up and the extended service plan, even for 3 years. We have been on a couple of long drives since the repair. All seems to be running smoothly so far. This is a link to my original post: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...tral-out-condition-in-drive.54706/post-510573