Michelin cross climates and towing an Rv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m inching closer to replacing the much maligned hankrooks. Maybe for the winter I’ll be ready. After five years, they seem to be getting hard, I’ve hated ever mile so far feeling them and their lack of grip, towing sucks, etc.

I was going to slap on defender ltx and call it good. I know some people that bought the cross climates recently and they are happy with them. I dont however know anybody that has pulled a trailer with them. We pull a heavy Rv once a year. The load rating looks to be the same between both tires. Anybody have first hand experience with the cross climates? Thanks.

ryanpe

Reaction score
Ironically, yes. I just returned from a 55 day, 7010 mile trip towing my 2024 Rockwood 2516s with my '21 Limited from Colorado to the east coast and back. I replaced my Hankook's (56,000 miles) with Michelin Cross Climates just prior to the trip. The cross climates have a more robust construction than the defenders as they have one more belt in the tread portion of the tire. It towed beautifully. I have 22" OEM wheels on my Expo. My 2516s scaled at 7350# fully loaded. I'm very happy with the cross climates as I live at 7000 ft and they will come in handy up here when I'm not towing as well.

ryanpe

Reaction score
I forgot to add that I replaced the stock rear sway bar with a Hellwig and added rear Sumo spring helpers prior to the trip as well.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at the Michelin tires but my local shop highly recommend Crugen HT51 over the Defenders or any other Michelin since they have the same performance and a better warranty.

They’re also nearly $700 cheaper for an installed set. Might be worth considering if your shop carries those too. You pay extra for the Michelin brand and it’s advertising, it seems.

Or if anyone has a good reason I shouldn’t go with Crugen, let me know. I’m planning to get new tires in a week since the Hankooks are done.

I also tow a 7,000# trailer all over the continent.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think tires are a place you want to skimp out. When you amortize the cost differential over the lifetime of the tires, it's not really that much. At least three years, $700 difference...$233, per year? Go with a known performer. I'm as frugal as the next person, but tires and brakes are two areas where I'll pay more for the best quality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rfbritt3