Wandering at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Reaction score
My 07 4x4 seems to wander at speeds above 60 going down the highway. It almost feels like there is fluctuation in the power assist. The tire store has balanced the tires and checked the alignment, the dealership has checked the front end and both say there is nothing wrong. Has anybody had the same problem or any ideas. I drive a f-250 work truck with a suspension like a roller skate and its rock solid, I would think this Expo would drive a little better.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MAN! A roller skate! Lol I cant imagine the comparison! Lol How did you think up a roller skate?

I was getting the same thing and I was racking my brain over it for a while. I started to notice it after getting new tires and alignment. I took it back a number of times and to another shop to have it looked at again. Nothing turned up. However I did fix the problem but Im not sure as to witch one out of three made the fix.
The one that the shops some how missed was a broke sway link. I have no idea how I had over looked it or the shop. I put on a new one. My idler arm has some play about 1/8 and it should be good up to ¼ but it was also dry and needed greased big time. Third, my air pressure was at 32psi and rated for 44 psi. After those I haven’t have a problem.

I was getting this feeling of drifting too but was over compensating for it. I know on my Cherokee I ran with out sway bars and the feeling was the same. But it could have just been the idler arm sticking too.

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My only vehicle that wandered going fast was the explorer I had with broken sway bar links, I replaced them and all was well.

Heck even my expy with 35's doesnt wander, ill get some shakin now and then but straight as an arrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Austin

Reaction score
Ford seems to think its the aftermarket rims and Destination AT's I put on it. I am calling BS, going to put the stock rims and tires on it this weekend and see if it does the same thing. If it does my service guys ears are going to be on fire!!!

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like BS but they could be right. Keep us updated on the wheel swap. I know on my jeep ZJ and XJ that when I ran 33’s AT’s they wobbled, 35’s MT’s smooth. 30’s wobbled, stock smooth. I have seen two of the same trucks running the same lift, tires and so on. One had issues the other nothing.

OP
OP
A

Austin

Reaction score
Well I had a friend take the expo to a shop he co-owns to check out the front end, wheels, and tires. The front end components turned out fine as did the tires. The the right front toe was out but very little. The big supprise was the rims. I bought Eagle Alloys Series 137's 17x8 for it. The shop put the tires on two different sets of stock rims and they balanced with very little wieght, but when they put them on my Eagles it takes and enormous amount of wieght on both sides of the rim to get them to balance out. This is the case on all four rims. It appears the rims are warped. It tracks fine with the stock rims on. Unforunatly the shop I bought the rims from is out of business (Convienant ) Huh! I sent an email to the manufacture to see if they can do anything for me, doubt it but its worth a try.