Weight distribution hitch for dump trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason2840

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I an the very happy new owner of a 2010 Expedition Limited with the tow package with a tow capacity of 9,200lbs. I will be towing a tandem 6'x10' dump trailer with a tare weight of 2,800lbs and a payload of up to 7,200lbs = GVW of 10,000lbs.

I have bought a dump trailer that is 7 hours drive from here and I will be going to collect it in a week and bringing it back empty. I have read about WDH's and seen the posts here but it seems that most of you are using them for a travel trailer of a more or less constant weight whereas a dump trailer may have significantly different weights per load.

- should I get a WDH for the 7 hour journey to bring the dump trailer home empty, ie 2,800lbs? The road will be well paved but it goes through mouintains so there will be hills and bends.

- when I have the trailer home it will mostly be for short trips of less than 30 minutes when loaded, and it might be light loads of wood chips or heavy loads with gravel. Should I get a WDH? If I do should it be readjusted each time according to the load weight?

- and if the recommendation in any of these cases is to get a WDT what do you suggest? I am in British Columbia, Canada. I farm and donate all the produce to the food banks so I can't justify any of the of really high end WDHs but I will get a good one if it is important.

Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-29 111013.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-29 111013.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be ok unladen but bring ballast in case you need more tongue weight for stability. Need at least 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ribroastx