Problems with unlocking drivers side door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMechGray

Reaction score
Hi all!
I joined the forum because I've had a few problems regarding my key/lock on the driver's side door of my '07 expedition. My fob has long since broken and I only have one key/exterior lock. About a year ago I went to unlock it, and the key went in but wouldn't turn. After a very bad experience with a locksmith, the electronic code lock randomly started working (it hadn't worked in five years), and the problem was 'fixed' for the time being. Eventually, it just happened to start unlocking again. Flash forward to this morning... Same thing, it felt sticky and the next time I went to get in, the key wouldn't turn. This time, the code didn't work either. It took 4 tries for the pad to light up and unlock. The driver's side window has also been temperamental to get up. The interior electronics are fine, the ignition is okay and the key works with it. I also bought a new battery less than a year ago. I know there are a lot of little plastic parts and such, but I also wondered if the heavy rains had anything to do with it. But ultimately, I'm not sure where to start looking for a solution. Any advice is appreciated!

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
A good shot of WD 40 in the lock cylinder would be a first step, that part is just a manual function with no electronics. The electrical part however can be a lot more interesting. Just because there seems to be multiple problems in the driver's door there is a possibility that you have a broken wire in the loom where it goes from the door post to the door. There is a lot of flex there and intermittent problems aren't all that unusual. When the problem shows up try holding the button for whatever isn't working and slowly open and close the door and see if anything changes.

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
Oh, don't wait to get a replacement key fob, they are really handy, not terribly expensive and can be programed at home with no tools.