question about a/c

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of the sudden my a/c will not blow out of the dash vent like I wanted it to...it will blow out of the windshield defrost vent...THEN back to the dash vents...and then sometimes, maybe back to the windshiels and so on. I'm not sure I want expy thinking on its own when it comes to providing a/c. I like the previous master and commander relationship I had before where the a/c would do what I made it do but now I am at its mercy. Is that a mechanical problem or hopefully just a fuse problem? Since nothing has been rewired can a wire going bad cause this?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
All of the sudden my a/c will not blow out of the dash vent like I wanted it to...it will blow out of the windshield defrost vent...THEN back to the dash vents...and then sometimes, maybe back to the windshiels and so on. I'm not sure I want expy thinking on its own when it comes to providing a/c. I like the previous master and commander relationship I had before where the a/c would do what I made it do but now I am at its mercy. Is that a mechanical problem or hopefully just a fuse problem? Since nothing has been rewired can a wire going bad cause this?

LOL.... my guess would be you have a faulty a/c door actuator... or something broke in the mechanicals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036FBINY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0036FBINE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WR15SFJX99N19P8JJ8K

islandtime

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my '00 back in May of this year. The blend door actuator was faulty...had it replaced at the same time I had to replace the compressor (which had died last year, but waited to replace until this yr), so don't know what the cost for just the actuator was. Ford serviced, as are all 6 of my Ford vehicles.

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same problem. For some reason mine switches from the vents to the defrost when I'm on the gas at about 50 mph or higher and then when I get to cruising speed it will blow out of the vents again. I have no idea why it does this. If I go to pass and get on the throttle it will do the same thing. Not a clue as to why.

GerryF

Reaction score
HVAC selector switch is vacuum driven. So, a leak in the vacuum supply will cause malfunction. A small leak will be overcome with high engine RPM, which may explain your symptoms. Check the vacuum supply hose at the engine intake. Mine had dried and cracked from heat and had a leak. Just needed 1" of end cut off and reattached.