2011 XLT. What is the correct coil pack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
You CAN do it yourself
This is true, IF you:

A) Are mechanically inclined
B) Have the proper tools & work space
C) Have the patience

If you don't have these 3 things, then you're better off just coughin up da cash & getting a qualified someone to do it for you, it doesn't HAVE to be a stealership, but just someone with experience with this type of work....

Just sayin :D

ediddily

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No mechanical inclination required for this job as there are no moving parts.
Proper tools, yes. Work space is just standing next to car, or lying on car to get to #4 and #8.
Patience only required when something breaks.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
No mechanical inclination required for this job as there are no moving parts.
Proper tools, yes. Work space is just standing next to car, or lying on car to get to #4 and #8.
Patience only required when something breaks.
No moving parts is true, but I beg to differ on the rest, as the front 6 packs & plugs are fairly easy to get to, even without removing any of the Air intake parts or others...

However if you are less than 6' tall with somewhat long arms, the back 2 WILL be a bit more difficult not only to reach or see and remove without damaging anything, but also requires carefully removing the above parts and a few others too, something which I think most non-mechanically-inclined folks would have some issues with...

Just trying to give a clear(er) picture of what's involved for those who may be thinking of trying something like this for the 1st time.. not everyone has the skills/temperament to work on cars.. I do to a point, but there are certain more complicated things that I won't attempt....and, as Harry Callahan says: "A man's gotta know his limitations" :D

Last edited:

ediddily

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm your average 6' person and I can easily reach #1,2,4,5 easily, #3 & #6 are just a stretch while still standing, only for #4 & #8 do I require a stool to lay over the edge. I replaced all coils, plugs and #8 pigtail without removing anything. Now that I think about it, perhaps I'm biased as I replaced the stock intake with a performance one that is just a big tube as it gives a lot more room.
Note to OP, replace your intake with a performance one to not be intimidated by all the fancy covers that just have "Ford" plastered all over it and a few more ponies at 3k rpm.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ignition coil packs are recommended to inspect and replace as needed every 60,000 miles or 4 years.
View attachment 82344View attachment 82345

Inspect, sure. "Replace as needed." In your own photo it plainly states: "If damage exists refer to Chapter 5 for the replacement procedure." A fully functioning, undamaged coil pack doesn't need to be replaced. If you like throwing money away, don't let me stop you. It's not actually accomplishing anything though.