Anyone tow 8,000 lbs. with their 2021 Expedition FX4 with max towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dworth

Reaction score
I have not, but I would definitely not recommend it. My 2018 F150 was rated 12k and I would not go over 9k with that.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are likely to exceed your rear axle weight rating due to payload and tongue weight before you reach the GCWR.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on the type of trailer. I tow a 7,800lb travel trailer with an Expy Max w/max tow. The EcoBoost has plenty of power to move that much weight, but the height and length of the trailer cause the vehicle to get pushed around by the wind more than I'd like. I'm also just under the payload and rear axle limits, so I've gone to the scale several times to make sure the weight distribution hitch is dialed in.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Side question then, if this vehicle has a tow rating of 9,000 lbs, how would it then be possible to tow 9k lbs without exceeding the axle limits?

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Side question then, if this vehicle has a tow rating of 9,000 lbs, how would it then be possible to tow 9k lbs without exceeding the axle limits?
My axle ratings are 3550lb front and 4380lb rear. With just me in it my Expy weighs 3100lb front and 3160lb rear. The max tongue weight is 900lb, and with a weight distribution hitch some of that gets sent to the front so not all of it sits on the rear axle. If your weight distribution is dialed in properly, you could still have some passenger and cargo weight and stay under the axle limits.

My payload limit is 1644lb, so a 900lb tongue weight leaves 744lb for people and stuff. I add more weight distribution to stay under the rear axle limit, but I'm able to stay under all of the limits with our trailer and 5 passengers.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My payload limit is 1644lb, so a 900lb tongue weight leaves 744lb for people and stuff.
I, too, have a trailer with a tongue weight of ~900lbs. If you use the 3-pass method, you'll discover that the WDH transfers weight off the rear axle and onto both the front axle and the trailer axle(s). Which will give you a little more effective cargo carrying capacity.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on the type of trailer. I tow a 7,800lb travel trailer with an Expy Max w/max tow. The EcoBoost has plenty of power to move that much weight, but the height and length of the trailer cause the vehicle to get pushed around by the wind more than I'd like. I'm also just under the payload and rear axle limits, so I've gone to the scale several times to make sure the weight distribution hitch is dialed in.
Wife likes a Cougar 25 RDS that's close to 30' long and grosses out at over 8K pounds. Its supposed to be 1/2 ton towable but we all know how that goes. I don't know if my Expedition could handle it on our terrible roads in Louisiana. Our previous camper was a 41' Solitude 5th wheel and pulled by a '17 F350 dually. Camper was totaled in hurricane Ida and I sold my dually and bought the Expedition with no intentions of getting another camper. Wife misses camping with our friends so hopefully I can change her mind. Prices are too high on RV's and getting about 8 mpg on the hwy with the Expy with its 23 gallon tank doesn't thrill me. Miss our 5th wheel and dually even more!!

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I, too, have a trailer with a tongue weight of ~900lbs. If you use the 3-pass method, you'll discover that the WDH transfers weight off the rear axle and onto both the front axle and the trailer axle(s). Which will give you a little more effective cargo carrying capacity.

How does it handle the camper. I've been spoiled by 2 fifth wheels and not really impressed with bumper pulls. I've got the regular length FX4 and has the 23 gallon tank. I put some 10 ply BFG's on it awhile back but 1 inch taller than the stock Michelins. I'm sure that's dropping the 3.73 gearing down a bit. Most of out trips are in the 100 to 200 mile range and mostly in flat land conditions. Wind is our biggest problem.