Anyone tow 8,000 lbs. with their 2021 Expedition FX4 with max towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As noted above, the WDH needs to be dialed in correctly. The closer you get to the limits, the more accurate you really need to be (less room for error). Also having sway control, if the WDH of choice doesn't have it built in. Also, again, the brakes need to be in good condition with the gain set appropriately.

The vehicle is capable, but that is a lot of weight behind the vehicle. Drive appropriately for the conditions.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As noted above, the WDH needs to be dialed in correctly. The closer you get to the limits, the more accurate you really need to be (less room for error). Also having sway control, if the WDH of choice doesn't have it built in. Also, again, the brakes need to be in good condition with the gain set appropriately.

The vehicle is capable, but that is a lot of weight behind the vehicle. Drive appropriately for the conditions.

Thanks for the reply! I'd cruise at 62 to 65 mph with my dually towing the 5th wheel. Probably have to slow down to the 55 to 60 mph range which on the interstates you may get run over by a semi driven by a recent CDL recipient!!

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does it handle the camper. I've been spoiled by 2 fifth wheels and not really impressed with bumper pulls. I've got the regular length FX4 and has the 23 gallon tank. I put some 10 ply BFG's on it awhile back but 1 inch taller than the stock Michelins. I'm sure that's dropping the 3.73 gearing down a bit. Most of out trips are in the 100 to 200 mile range and mostly in flat land conditions. Wind is our biggest problem.
Our travel trailer is 33' and I've pulled it about 6,000 miles with the Expedition Max. It pulls great when there's no wind. We drove through 30mph gusts last weekend and it was pretty unnerving, even with a ProPride weight distribution hitch. I'm looking at getting a Super Duty, although my wife really doesn't want to lose the 3rd row for our 3 kids.

I'm sure 30' would be better than 33', but your shorter wheelbase might offset that. So I would say it's possible if you get a good weight distribution hitch and take it to the scale to verify you're within all of the weight limits. But based on my experience, I'd recommend a shorter trailer or a bigger truck.

FWIW, I average 8.5-9.5mpg depending on wind.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does it handle the camper. I've been spoiled by 2 fifth wheels and not really impressed with bumper pulls. I've got the regular length FX4 and has the 23 gallon tank. I put some 10 ply BFG's on it awhile back but 1 inch taller than the stock Michelins. I'm sure that's dropping the 3.73 gearing down a bit. Most of out trips are in the 100 to 200 mile range and mostly in flat land conditions. Wind is our biggest problem.
It's an Outdoors RV which is a notoriously tongue heavy brand. So while it might have a 900lb tongue weight, it's only an 18' box and about 6000lbs. That said, it took a few adjustments to the hitch to get it dialed in correctly. But I'm pretty happy with it as a tow vehicle and really happy with the combo. Fits all 4 kids with room in the back for a some light cargo (I have the max), runs 70mph @~1800-2000rpm. It'll run up the passes at 65-70mph without issue, but does get thirsty. Particularly trying to accelerate uphill. For us, it's really the best tow vehicle available as the alternatives would be a 3/4 ton truck (which gets tight with 6 people) or a GM product which haven't had as much payload with the 6.2L

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our travel trailer is 33' and I've pulled it about 6,000 miles with the Expedition Max. It pulls great when there's no wind. We drove through 30mph gusts last weekend and it was pretty unnerving, even with a ProPride weight distribution hitch. I'm looking at getting a Super Duty, although my wife really doesn't want to lose the 3rd row for our 3 kids.

I'm sure 30' would be better than 33', but your shorter wheelbase might offset that. So I would say it's possible if you get a good weight distribution hitch and take it to the scale to verify you're within all of the weight limits. But based on my experience, I'd recommend a shorter trailer or a bigger truck.

FWIW, I average 8.5-9.5mpg depending on wind.

Thanks for the info. I never planned to buy a camper to pull behind the Expedition. Really can kick my self for selling the dually even though I sold it for what I paid for it 4-1/2 yrs ago. This let me pay cash for the Expedition which is a lot better for daily use vs the dually. Last November trucks were hard to find down here anywhere so I bought the Expy off the lot and they came off the sticker price more so then a pickup.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My axle ratings are 3550lb front and 4380lb rear. With just me in it my Expy weighs 3100lb front and 3160lb rear. The max tongue weight is 900lb, and with a weight distribution hitch some of that gets sent to the front so not all of it sits on the rear axle. If your weight distribution is dialed in properly, you could still have some passenger and cargo weight and stay under the axle limits.

My payload limit is 1644lb, so a 900lb tongue weight leaves 744lb for people and stuff. I add more weight distribution to stay under the rear axle limit, but I'm able to stay under all of the limits with our trailer and 5 passengers.
So one thing to keep in mind is that tongue weight doesn't necessarily mean you've subtracted that amount from your available payload. There's still the rear axle weight rating and don't forget, the tongue weight applied a levered force on the rear axle weight rating.

So it's not always the case where a 1000lbs tongue weight means you've used up 1000lbs of rear axle weight capacity.

But you've gone to the scale so that's as gospel as you can get. You're pretty much doing it the best way possible and I would trust the scale more than estimations.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's an Outdoors RV which is a notoriously tongue heavy brand. So while it might have a 900lb tongue weight, it's only an 18' box and about 6000lbs. That said, it took a few adjustments to the hitch to get it dialed in correctly. But I'm pretty happy with it as a tow vehicle and really happy with the combo. Fits all 4 kids with room in the back for a some light cargo (I have the max), runs 70mph @~1800-2000rpm. It'll run up the passes at 65-70mph without issue, but does get thirsty. Particularly trying to accelerate uphill. For us, it's really the best tow vehicle available as the alternatives would be a 3/4 ton truck (which gets tight with 6 people) or a GM product which haven't had as much payload with the 6.2L

Thank you for the detailed info. Dealer said they would throw in an Equalizer hitch so I hope these can get fine tuned to the camper. Have you been using premium gas when towing because the prices are nuts for premium gasoline down here. Diesel is even worse.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So one thing to keep in mind is that tongue weight doesn't necessarily mean you've subtracted that amount from your available payload. There's still the rear axle weight rating and don't forget, the tongue weight applied a levered force on the rear axle weight rating.

So it's not always the case where a 1000lbs tongue weight means you've used up 1000lbs of rear axle weight capacity.

But you've gone to the scale so that's as gospel as you can get. You're pretty much doing it the best way possible and I would trust the scale more than estimations.

After loading semi trucks for years these little SUV's seem to be more of a challenge! Drove tankers and dry vans plus drove trucks when I was in the National Guard. Just get in 'em and go! Thanks for your input Polo!

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_2443.JPG

Picture of our rig before camper was destroyed in 150+ mph winds during hurricane Ida. Truck survived but I ended up selling it. Camper was just under 17K pounds loaded and the F350 pulled it like a rag doll. Cruised at 65mph for economy and safety but would go up to 80 mph easily when passing if I wanted. 6.7 Powerstroke with 4.10 gearing and all stock.