Dealer Overfilled Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3bs

Reaction score
I had my cam phasers done by my local dealer in July, and have only driven the car once since. I was getting ready to head out for a 300 mile trip towing my trailer and checked the oil as a matter of routine. It was overfilled by about over an inch! Makes me think they didn't drain it and just poured in a bunch of new oil. I'm going to try to extract a couple of quarts, but if that fails I'll have to drain it and change it. This is why I do as much stuff as I can myself.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to drain out what you need to get it to the right level. An inch on the dipstick probably represents somewhere between 1 and 2 quarts.
When doing so, if the oil looks new, then they just overfilled it and you are good, but if it is brown, then they did not drain it and you should drain it all out and refill. BTW do you see an oil filter on the parts invoice? that may be a tell as to what happened.

bityw

Reaction score
I had the engine replaced in mine. The paperwork said 12qts and sure enough I drained out somewhere between the 10qt and 15qt marks in my oil catch pan when it got home from the dealer. The factory “FoMoCo” filter was also tightened by the hand of Thor.

OP if you pull the drain plug but NOT the filter, a 5qt jug will get you in the hashes without having to mess with the filter.

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
I sucked out just over 3 quarts to get it down close to the full line. They did change the filter (I use a different filter), but I’m doubtful that they did a full drain. Color was questionable, but I had changed it not long before the work was done. I’ll probably change it again when I return home. I normally run full synthetic instead of the blend anyway.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory “FoMoCo” filter was also tightened by the hand of Thor.
I'd really like to know the dealership procedure for the filter installation. Mine had an oil change as part of the "Gold Certified" part of my purchase. When I changed the oil, I was able to hang all my weight on the filter wrench dangling under the truck, and it still wouldn't budge.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had all these issues too. Once my warranty expires and they fix the outstanding issues, I’ll never go back. Last month I destroyed my filter wrench trying to get theirs off after the cam phase replacement. I had to tear the filter apart with a channel lock wrench to get it off.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I’ve had all these issues too. Once my warranty expires and they fix the outstanding issues, I’ll never go back. Last month I destroyed my filter wrench trying to get theirs off after the cam phase replacement. I had to tear the filter apart with a channel lock wrench to get it off.
This situation requires a deeper look. Believe me, the dealers don’t find qualified people that went to a proper apprenticeship program. I send my boy to Europe for a in depth mechanical apprenticeship. He run circles around our local guys upon his return in everything practical and theoretical, never mind keeping his workplace neat and organized.
Nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore and our apprenticeship programs are mediocre and pass people that shouldn’t be anywhere near customers cars.
This applies to all other trades also.
No dealer shop touches my vehicle if I can avoid it.