Difference between regular and EL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2013 expedition without rear air suspension. I've been looking around for new struts and a couple websites I've been on say that the EL and regular sized expedition aren't the same on the rears. Is that true and if so what's the difference? I asked this on the suspension pages but nobody has answered and I need to know before I buy anything.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I have a 2013 expedition without rear air suspension. I've been looking around for new struts and a couple websites I've been on say that the EL and regular sized expedition aren't the same on the rears. Is that true and if so what's the difference? I asked this on the suspension pages but nobody has answered and I need to know before I buy anything.
Well, all 3 EL's I looked at before buying mine (2011's) had the air suspension as standard equipment from the factory, and the 3 regular ones did not, so I would suggest you research this a little more before buying any parts...

Ford probably figured the air ride system would help them ride/handle better due to the extra weight of the EL's longer backside, and I have to admit they were probably correct, since my EXP rides just as nice & smooth as my 012 Caddy CTS-4

HOWEVER: If/when the air ride system goes poopoo (like mine did in January), you should get yourself prepared for the $1000-2000 repair bill that will be handed to you :D

Mine needed a new compressor, mounting brackets & sensors, so I just told them to replace the entire system while they were in there. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it going bad later on...

Last edited:

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an EL without the air suspension as well. When it came time to replace the struts I just went with KYB replacement struts from Rockauto. its not listed for either wheelbase.

The shocks are different though, im guessing because of the weight. You can punch your vin into any dealer website and search for the shocks/struts if you want, I use Lakeland ford parts. I had to do that when I found out my fuel pump assembly is unique to my 09 specifically. . . .

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2014 EL Limited (w/tow package) and do not have the air suspension either. I replaced my rears with NAPA quickstruts at 95K and all is good. Mine were spec'd for the EL by them...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rome30309