Ford notified me NEW Sync 3 firmware update is available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mr Big

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The final step is uploading the results of the update to the Ford Owner Website. This is the way Ford keeps track of the version you have.
How did you go about updating your firmware version results to the Ford Website? There seems to be no provision to do so on Ford's website.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I just went through all this in updating my SYNC3 version. I used the USB to do the update and the system showed that it successfully completed. However, when I sent the XLM file to Ford it showed the following message:

"It appears there is an issue with the uploaded log file. Our team will review shortly and update your account to reflect the current version of SYNC in your vehicle. We recommend using Wi-Fi updates where available for your vehicle."

Of course that has been over a month ago and Ford continues to show the same message. I contacted them after seeing the message and was told the USB method is no longer recommended and I should do the Wi-Fi update. My garage doesn't have the best Wi-Fi coverage so I pulled around back and proceeded to do the update via Wi-Fi and the system indicated it was completed successfully. Anyway, that was my experience.
I then proceeded to update the Navigation Software using USB, I did the download method from Ford, which completed successfully.

OP
OP
Mr Big

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I just went through all this in updating my SYNC3 version. I used the USB to do the update and the system showed that it successfully completed. However, when I sent the XLM file to Ford it showed the following message:

"It appears there is an issue with the uploaded log file. Our team will review shortly and update your account to reflect the current version of SYNC in your vehicle. We recommend using Wi-Fi updates where available for your vehicle."

Of course that has been over a month ago and Ford continues to show the same message. I contacted them after seeing the message and was told the USB method is no longer recommended and I should do the Wi-Fi update. My garage doesn't have the best Wi-Fi coverage so I pulled around back and proceeded to do the update via Wi-Fi and the system indicated it was completed successfully. Anyway, that was my experience.
I then proceeded to update the Navigation Software using USB, I did the download method from Ford, which completed successfully.
My case is different. I only mentioned it to show how far behind Ford is on older models.
My point was Ford shows several versions behind what I installed using Cyan Labs installer.

OP
OP
Mr Big

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the att hotspot, will it do the updates?
Yes, as long as you have good WIFI through your ATT hotspot. I did mine in the past using my hotspot through my phone with no issues.
With that said, the safest way is to download the firmware, follow directions on how to use a USB stick, and install that way.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, as long as you have good WIFI through your ATT hotspot. I did mine in the past using my hotspot through my phone with no issues.
With that said, the safest way is to download the firmware, follow directions on how to use a USB stick, and install that way.
This is two different things. The poster is asking whether the radio will update using the built in ATT hot spot. It will not. You need to connect to a wifi signal either through your home system or your phone wifi as you mentioned.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree the USB is the safest route for downloading updates. So was surprised that Ford is pushing Wi-Fi, not USB, as the way to go in the future.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I updated my Sync3 and my Nav on my '19 Saturday night... didn't drive it anywhere til this morning, the Nav was seemingly confused and kept showing me on tertiary roads parallel to the relatively major road I was on. I normally use Android Auto w/ Google Maps so I don't really need the built in Nav, but I wanted to verify it works.

anyone else seen any such weirdness ?