Has anyone had a smooth shifting 10 speed? Do they all do the occasional clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like Ford and GM who were both in on the 10 speed design screwed up somewhat!! Both are having 10 speed woes.. :(
The government forces them to be in on fuel economy saving transmissions .

Last edited:

bigboi66

Reaction score
called Ford and I told him what was happening to my car with the transmission and I told him that I wanted to reprogram the transmission with the scanner to see if it improved, the Ford mechanic told me that those faults could not be fixed with the computer, He told me that if I did that he was going to give the money away.

I don't know who to believe anymore, I know that the advice comes with good intentions but look at what the Ford mechanic tells me, as many here say, that 10r80 transmission is garbage.
I had mine in many time and they went through warranty, still had to pay my $100 fee... Should this have been totally free? Or are you still paying the deductible?

Tiger Bob

Reaction score
As some of the other commentators noted, a minor clunk when shifting from P to R. Otherwise, as smooth as a baby's behind. I'm not sure if the dealer is mandated to "fix" anything subject to a TSP under warranty, but you can bet your bottom dollar (or bottom $9000) that the day after that warranty expires, the stealership will find a whole bunch of things wrong with the vehicle in addition to the transmission. If you take it in now, it will probably be deemed as "healthy as a horse", and that will cost you $300 for the diagnosis since not warranty related.

Sidewinder

Reaction score
I've never seen that before. How long have you put it in your fluid and is there any chance that you know how it works?
I researched the product online, not sure how it works. I tried it in my brother-in-law's 2013 Edge 12/22/23 and it helped. Put it in my 2017 Expedition and 2008 Taurus X and it has helped with slipping and shifting.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As some of the other commentators noted, a minor clunk when shifting from P to R. Otherwise, as smooth as a baby's behind. I'm not sure if the dealer is mandated to "fix" anything subject to a TSP under warranty, but you can bet your bottom dollar (or bottom $9000) that the day after that warranty expires, the stealership will find a whole bunch of things wrong with the vehicle in addition to the transmission. If you take it in now, it will probably be deemed as "healthy as a horse", and that will cost you $300 for the diagnosis since not warranty related.
I love this comment and it is as accurate as it gets. Once the dealership knows u have no ESP/Warranty they will become honest.

Reaction score
I have a '19 that had problems around fourth gear that resulted in reprogram and valve body/clutch pack replacement with no meaningfulylly positive results.

The death nail was a big pounding downshift that shook the entire vehicle to the point I expected metal on the road, this was on the highway while towing 6,000lb RV. The TSB was only just out and my warranty was about to expire.

This resulted in a full rebuild and the transmission has been fine in the 20,000 km or so since then. Perfect, no shimmy's, flutters or hint of a hard shift.

Given that I also had the cam phaser and a front right CV joint that failed early, and that while I'd like to believe a rebuilt could be done well, that it's not a new transmission - I went for my first extended warranty ever.

20k km in and it's in for a rear main seal ($2,800 cdn) and one running board ($3026 cdn) with both covered under warranty. So, the warranty has already paid, and going to a higher tier has resulted in running board being covered meaning the upgrade was worth it.

The only other vehicle that I have owned and would not have owned off warranty was a 2004 VW GTI, I sold the car instead.

Extended was $4k or so for max term and km. For a '19, and perhaps later models there is absolutely no way I'd own this vehicle off warranty. Normally I'd say the vehicle would be sorted after the warranty period...but not this one.

Given the risk involved, and the position I was in with a very flakey example of the '19, the best and cheapest miles I could get were with the warranty.

Reaction score
The other thing that I'd add is that there are modified parts in the TSB repair. I can't say they work long term that are a permanent fix for the issue, but if you have warranty I cannot see any reason not to pursue the rebuild at your earliest convenience.

Warranty repairs are not warranted past your warranty period.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
Wow, my running boards are also showing symptoms and at 3k CAD PER SIDE, that's insane. Sunroof rattles and tranny occasionally clunks.
Extended was $4k or so for max term and km.
What dealer did you get this deal (Canada or US) and when? I sent a request to Petrie Ford, the only dealer to have a seperate website+email for ESP in Canada and they wouldn't reply to my request.

wwebster

Reaction score
I've owned a 17 f150 and now own a 19 expedition. I would say both are very smooth 99% of the time. Every blue moon I'll get a harsh downshift while coming to a stop.. I put 70k on the f150 and I'm 8k into the expedition.