Looking at a 2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pumpercaptain

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just joined here... hopefully to get some good info from all of you... Wife and I are looking at a new 2010 limited. We have an Explorer now that we are gonna trade... it has 58,000 on it and it is also a limited, V-6, 4x4. Only thing it doesn't have is the DVD. Bottom number on the Expedition is $46,800 and they are willing to pay off the Explorer for what we owe which is $21000.

Bad or good deal???

Just looking for feedback/opinions bad or good on the Expedition...

I am concerned about the power runningboards... how do they hold up? what about when ice and snow is caked all over the bottom of the truck... any issues with that??

We like the truck, just hard to let go of 5 g's to make up the diff and get where we need to be money wise...

so what say all of you?

Thanks alot.

PC

OP
OP
P

pumpercaptain

Reaction score
Nope, that is one of my stipulations in the deal, that the Explorer has to be paid off in full so there isn't anything carried over... which they agreed to do.

What about gas mileage? Has to be as good as or better than the Explorer... I can watch the gauge move on the Explorer. We thought the V6 would be easier on gas... nope.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what yr explorer was it cuz i thought that they only came in V8? i have a K&N intake, exhaust, and programmer and i get roughly 20-22 hwy...depending on if i follow speed limit or do 80...

OP
OP
P

pumpercaptain

Reaction score
We have an 08. It has the V-6. She loves gasoline! I think I can actually see the needle moving as I drive it... Really thought it would get better milage than that.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My parent's have an '08 Explorer with the V8, and my '06 Expy gets about the same or 1 mpg worse on the highway (18.5-19.0)

pdqcarrera

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 go for it.

We're enjoying our 2010 EL Limited 4WD Expedition. I didn't want the retractable running boards, but frankly now we're glad to have them. Can't speak for reliability yet with only ~3000 miles, but it's simple old technology. We're averaging 13.8 mpg with mostly lead foot 'round town driving. I think our best week of mostly freeway driving was in the 14.5 mpg neighborhood. It has an impressive powerband noticably better than our 2000 2V 5.4 Expedition, which we bought to replace an Explorer that didn't tow well enough or carry enough stuff for family ski trips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pumpercaptain

Reaction score
Tks for the input pdq, and everyone else. Thats what we are looking for...

The vehicle we were looking at got stolen according to our dealer we are working with...

We found another one with the same equipment only its a demo with around 6000 mls on it.

Looks like we may get this one...

I read that the pwr running boards can be turned off, set to "auto" or set to stay deployed. Have any of you tried this or are aware of this?

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can jump in here too on a couple things... mileage on my '10 Expy LTD is always right around 13-14 around town and I drive completely normal. This car is too big & heavy for you to be burying your right foot, the truck just makes alot of noise, burns more gas and doesn't go that much faster... a Mustang it definitely is not.
As far as the running boards, mine came with them, and I have 20k mi wear & tear on them and they're fine, although I do feel like its just something else to break at some point. I slid off the road last week in that blizzard that hit the midwest and got stuck in a snow bank. When I opened the door, the running board tried to deploy, but hit the snow bank/ice and retracted. I'm guessing they're on the same type of mechanism that if they find resistance they close, just like the power rear hatch.
As far as driving around with them down, I wouldn't really recommend it, as I think that feature is more for drive thru car washes. They seem too skinny and little (they WILL handle the weight though) to drive around, would jsut look goofy.
Hope this helps...

09_Expy

Reaction score
Tks for the input pdq, and everyone else. Thats what we are looking for...

The vehicle we were looking at got stolen according to our dealer we are working with...

We found another one with the same equipment only its a demo with around 6000 mls on it.

Looks like we may get this one...

I read that the pwr running boards can be turned off, set to "auto" or set to stay deployed. Have any of you tried this or are aware of this?

I have an '09 Limited with the power running boards. When we got the 30+ inches of snow last February, I just turned them off. I have almost 40K miles on mine and the running boards have never failed.
I do mostly "city" driving and probably average around 13-14 mpg. When I am on the highway, I usually get around 17-18 mpg.
According to kbb.com, the trade-in value for an '08 Limited Explorer with the V6 is around $19,000. If they're willing to pay the $21,000, you're losing it somewhere else.