Need help with performance chip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frye34

Reaction score
Got a 2003 XLT 4x4 4.6
Airaid cold air intake
Gibson exhaust

Looking for a good performance chip, figured this would be the best place to ask. I dont off road, just looking for more hp and better mpg.

Thanks
Mike

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
most on here swear by the edge cs or cts

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have superchips cortex 1950...and 2000eb is correct...most on this site go edge...but there are a lot that are getting into the custom tunes...around the same price as buying a programmer...

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Got a 2003 XLT 4x4 4.6
Airaid cold air intake
Gibson exhaust

Looking for a good performance chip, figured this would be the best place to ask. I dont off road, just looking for more hp and better mpg.

Thanks
Mike

Mike, Welcome to the forum...I have a Edge CS that plugs into my OBDII port under the dash. It has 3 built in programs and then on Level 3 for performance you have many different things you can adjust to give you a little more. I have a 2000 expo with a 5.4 which wouldn't get out of its own way and the fuel mileage was terrible...worse than I thought for a 7000 lbs truck and I'm a easy driver...bought the Edge CS for about 400.00 and has been the best investment I made...it has already paid for itself in fuel gains I have made, not to mention performance...this thing came alive and is fine to drive...you also have the option to set the display panel to monitor up to 8 different items, like engine temp, speed, trans temp, MPG's and much more...this edge all offers a maintenance option that you can set thie mileage points and will alert you when an item needs service...also has a function that you can do your own 0-60 times and the best it also has a Christmas tree function like at a dragway and and you down the colored lights and run a 1/4 mile time....like mine a few weeks ago ran a 8.6 seconds from 0 to 60 and a 1/4 mile in 16.60 seconds...that's movin for a 7000 pound truck...my fuel mileage went from 8-9 city to 16.5 to 17.5 city and I average 22-23 highway with the cruise set at 69mph. yeah you can by a chip for 200 and then you got to get into the computer and mess around...this is idiot proof...and Edge develops updates and send them via e-mail and all you have to do is unplug the control head and plug it into your computer with the cord they supply and download the free updates...I think its the best bang for the buck....if you need some more info feel free to hit me back or you can call Edge and speak to Mark Haywood 888-360-3343 ext. 138 and he can answer you anything for you. I have attached a couple of pictures of mine....the only thing I wish I would have done was spend the extra couple bucks and went with the CTS from Edge...Bigger screen...and when you wear tri-focals like me, you need all the help you can! Hope this was helpful.

Attachments

• DSC03682.jpg
    DSC03682.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC03767.jpg
    DSC03767.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 447
OP
OP
F

Frye34

Reaction score
TY for the help, i will do some research, quick question...I live in NC, will i have any problems passing inspection?

Mike

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Shouldn't...but you can always set it back to the stock program have it sniffed...and then put it back to which ever level you like...if you buy a chip...its not that easy...that's why I like the edge.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the SuperChips thing the first year I had modified my setup; very disappointed and this was before the ability to go to one of their [current] affiliates, I think, and have it flashed.

From what I've read about the Edge, am seriously considering that.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure edge makes one for a 2003. i know sct does. and now they have the iphone app programmer

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes that is what they are talking about. yes easy to install. plugs into obdii port.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khwolf13