New edge tuner for 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

brainb7080

Reaction score
Ok finally got to run a full tank through it. First tank the wife was letting it idle 10 min to warm up in the morning. Not to accurate reading I'm thinking. So first full tank with no long warm ups. 89 oct 381.6 miles 25.125 gallons. Dash reading is 16.1 actual by my calculations 15.19. ?? Not a great improvement, however the 15.5 the dash was reading before the tuner was probably 2500 miles average. I'm thinking the economy tune may be optimized for 87 oct? So now on tank 2 with 87. Guess we'll see. Edge says to try a tank full on each setting and see what works best for me. Guy I talked to at edge said his personal experience was to use extreme setting for best mileage. That would make sense to me if I can keep my foot out of it. So now the next monkey wrench to throw into the mix is my CAI has arrived and I'll probably install it this weekend. Guess that will nullify all my results so far. Oh well not like I'm going to stop driving so the results will continue.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see roughly the same numbers with the Hypertech. I run the 87 tune and have run 87 oct and 89 oct and didn't see any noticeable differences in mileage. I do however notice a little pinging when running 87 oct. Straight highway runs get me 17.5 - 18.1 mpg, running around town, I'm lucky to get low 11's with some warm up time. I've never run the 91 tune, basically because I'm too cheap to run premium, really outta try that one day. Keep us posted, really want to see if the Edge and Hypertech are just about even.
And yes, I already have a CAI installed, don't know how much that factors into my mileage, maybe 1 mpg? Throw yours on, I'm betting you'll like it!

Last edited:

midsouthduck

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member but old lurker here:)
I recently got an SCT tuner to improve my mileage on a '03FX4 Expy; it's about 13.5 to 14 depending on how much highway driving I do. However, it was below 13 because I was running lean from:
2-1/2" Mandrel bent pipes from 2nd CAT to a 2-1/2"in 3"out Magnaflow Y-pipe.
3" 70 Series Flowmaster
Gibson 3" mandrel bent tailpipe
Volant air filter, tube
ProM 75mm mass air meter
265/70-17 Maxxis Buckshots

I run the mid-grade tune and put in 93 octane to be sure of no pinging. I think the 3.73 gears along with 4x4 is working against me along with my short commute. The Buckshots are actually a tad bigger than most 265's, so adjusting for the proper tire size gave me a realistic mileage number. BTW, I am very pleased with the SCT tuning; a noticeable difference in power. Old pic of the truck here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2415850/2003-ford-expedition

Last edited:

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove to Houston Texas from Chicago round trip I averaged 21 mpg going 65 - 70 mph I have a 2011 XLT 4x4

Sent from my iPhone the power of the Jedi

Last edited: