SHOPPING FOR A NEW EXPEDITION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents

This is my last ford product I will ever own!
Owned fords scince 1990.

Never again!

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Except when I asked dealers about this they reported back ford doesn’t change the mpg rating based on the rear gear.

Which is also another way of saying: they get their EPA mileage maxed on their most efficient ratio, and as long as their others are close, they won’t report anything different.

Look, I’m not saying the 3.31 is going to gain you 1 or 2 mpg, but it is going to get you better cruising mpg. Will it be marginal? Yes. Will you notice on every fill up? Probably not, especially if you do a lot of in-town driving (where the 3.73 may actually be more efficient). But over the life of the vehicle will you save money on gas with the 3.31.

But again, going back to the original question: you don’t NEED the hd tow for a 3300# trailer.

Maybe the 3.73 is better. Maybe it’s faster. Maybe there’s no difference in fuel economy. But it is definitely $1250 more and it is definitely not necessary for his situation.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You wont need the tow pack. If you can find one with it, great but dont miss a deal if one doesnt have it but has everything else you want. Also, if you dnt want a problem truck, id try and get a my20 truck. Everyones experience with 18 and 19s are varied. My 18 had its issues but nowhere near what some ppl had.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which is also another way of saying: they get their EPA mileage maxed on their most efficient ratio, and as long as their others are close, they won’t report anything different.

Look, I’m not saying the 3.31 is going to gain you 1 or 2 mpg, but it is going to get you better cruising mpg. Will it be marginal? Yes. Will you notice on every fill up? Probably not, especially if you do a lot of in-town driving (where the 3.73 may actually be more efficient). But over the life of the vehicle will you save money on gas with the 3.31.

But again, going back to the original question: you don’t NEED the hd tow for a 3300# trailer.

Maybe the 3.73 is better. Maybe it’s faster. Maybe there’s no difference in fuel economy. But it is definitely $1250 more and it is definitely not necessary for his situation.

ok, once you get the numbers sorted out, let the factory know. They change the rating for two reasons, gear isn’t one of them. I don’t know the mileage loop conditions they test with to give the epa their numbers. Maybe you can find out and do some exhaustive testing for them.

his question is one thing, I gave an answer based on my experiences. Needs change and driving both setups tells me the 3.73 works a lot better than the airplane gears. Much easier to tow his trailer now with ease than to be short handed down the road when he decides for more. I’ve seen that plenty on here already.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, once you get the numbers sorted out, let the factory know. They change the rating for two reasons, gear isn’t one of them. I don’t know the mileage loop conditions they test with to give the epa their numbers. Maybe you can find out and do some exhaustive testing for them.

his question is one thing, I gave an answer based on my experiences. Needs change and driving both setups tells me the 3.73 works a lot better than the airplane gears. Much easier to tow his trailer now with ease than to be short handed down the road when he decides for more. I’ve seen that plenty on here already.

Eeeeeasy there big fella, I get enough snark from my wife and kids.

OP asked if he needed the tow pack. You said yes. I said “eh, not really but if you want it, go for it.”

The only reason I waded back into this no-win dispute again (I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I’ve had it with someone on here) is because once again someone responded to the “do I need the HD tow pack?” question with: “yes, you do it’s better in every way, absolutely.” And while it’s super-nice of you to spend the OP’s money for them, that answer is misleading.

Something like what you just said (“based on my experience, while you don’t need the hd tow pack because the 3.31 will handle what you currently have planned just fine, you’ll probably be a lot happier with the upgrade because _______”) is a much more accurate and helpful answer.

Be calm and enjoy your Saturday. Namaste

OP
OP
D

Doug Shumway

Reaction score
You wont need the tow pack. If you can find one with it, great but dont miss a deal if one doesnt have it but has everything else you want. Also, if you dnt want a problem truck, id try and get a my20 truck. Everyones experience with 18 and 19s are varied. My 18 had its issues but nowhere near what some ppl had.
What do you mean “I’d try and get my20 truck”? What issues did you have with your 18? Have people been having issues with the new models? thanks
Doug

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you mean “I’d try and get my20 truck”? What issues did you have with your 18? Have people been having issues with the new models? thanks
Doug

For the most part, many ppl who own my20 trucks have not came here or other forums with issues, which alludes to less issues. If you look through the forum, the biggest issues with the truck, primarily my18 and my19, are the cam phasers, shocks, and small electrical stuff. Other than that, most ppl complain about the quirks of the truck they dnt like. Ive only had the popping mirrors and bt connectivity issues, but no engine or other electrical issues when i had it. All in all, the truck doesnt seem more problematic than anything else, but the truck itself is more advanced than anything else in its class not german, so the first runs can be messy and those are most likely the used ones on the market.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2 cents: I do not think you will miss it if you are towing a smaller trailer. However, I would get it. I don’t know how into TTs you are, but I can imagine you wanting a bit of an upgrade in a couple of years. Don’t let your tow vehicle be the limiting factor.

JKautz

Reaction score
If you like music, avoid the base stereo. I can’t say the B&O system is any better (I don’t own an Expedition with it) but I was very disappointed in my 2020 XLT’s sound system versus the cost of the vehicle. The rear speaker’s magnet is pretty much the size of a quarter and one had a cable pinched on top of it (see photos). It was the first thing I “fixed” on the car.

B865E341-20FB-431C-80BC-03A8F9EB9B65.jpeg

D47CD347-D281-4BA3-B4FF-F16D124FA3EC.jpeg