Sub or amp dying...thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Posted in Audio, but checking here for input too!
I'm looking for any suggestions to chase. Thanks in advance!

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have no sound at all it's not likely the sub. If the sub blows you'll get crappy sound, but sound none the less. If it failed all at one I'd be looking for a fuse, I can't recall off hand if the sub can be turned off in the radio settings. Oh wait it can be sort of turned off, if the fader is set all the way to the front it will turn off the speakers in the rear door and and the sub.

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's def not a fuse because in the last 36 hours, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it works half. I'll play with the fade to see what may change. Thanks!

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the other conversation here's the pics.

Attachments

• Amp wiring diagram.jpg
    Amp wiring diagram.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 3
  • Expedition sub amp input and power connector dicsonnected.jpg
    Expedition sub amp input and power connector dicsonnected.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Expedition sub amp input and power connector.jpg
    Expedition sub amp input and power connector.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Expedition sub amp speaker wire connector.jpg
    Expedition sub amp speaker wire connector.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right on, thanks!

I ran to the home improvement store tonight and the sub seems to work better when I'm slowing or stopped, like inverted speed sensitive sound adjustment (the wife's 2016 increases sound with speed to compensate for road noise). Makes me think loose connection where the weight of wire harness is just enough to make a difference in connection. No bump or popping noise today like yesterday. Adjusting fade front or back didn't make a noticeable difference; neither does using the adjustment for driver seat / all seats / rear seats.

I really hate electrical gremlins.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ugh, I agree on them dang gremlins. This is why I want my next truck to be another 78 Bronco. There is so little electrical crap and what's there is dedicated wires and simple to understand.

Is it working better or is it just that you have so much more noise to drown out while rolling down the road the sub simply can't keep up? Either way my thought is that the head unit is okay since it's sending the signal. It could be a wire, but I'm thinking it's either a connection with the subwoofer or the amp is failing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the sanity checks. I'm hoping to investigate Wed or Thur. If not, then it'll be a couple weeks before I get time again.