Time for new tires, thinking maybe wheels to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
BigOleFordFam mentioned durability problems by going smaller - wrong. Bigger tire sidewall transfers less impact to suspension components. I was a mfg engineer on F150 for years. Around 2006 we were adding 20", or maybe 22" wheels to the lineup, and I took part in dozens of meetings reviewing potential changes that would need to be made to the suspension and steering systems to deal with the higher impact forces. You'd be amazed how much that smaller sidewall beats up the suspension.
A) I was merely commenting on the fact that Expy's come with 20-22" rims for a reason, which you are (correctly) implying was a design/engineering decision, which apparently was adopted, based on the number of vehicles that come out of the factory with them.....

I never suggested that they are/would or would not be ideal, which is something each person has to decide for themselves based on their own observations, preferences, expectations, and driving conditions......

B) I agree that bigger SIDEWALLS can offer better ride quality & less wear & tear on the suspension (to a certain point), but again this is a decision to be made by the owner.

C) However, I personally think that any vehicle the size of an Expy looks silly with 18" rims, or 17's for that matter, regardless of sidewall height (unless you're wanting the "pimp wagon/boi toy" look) but then again, my 011 EL is a good bit heavier & larger overall than more recent models, so that's why I feel this way...

Also, this is the exact reason why my next set of new tires this fall will be 275/65-20's instead of the stock 275/55-20's, but I have the clearance to do so without introducing any turn/rub issues :D

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It came with 22" rims for a reason...it's a big, heavy vehicle that needs fairly large tires & rims to support it :D

they came with 17", 18", 20", and 22" wheels. The 22" wheels require /45 series tires which don't belong on ANY truck. I swapped the 22's on my Stealth for a set of 18's off an F150, same offset and everything. The 18" size is a /65 profile tire, which is much better for a truck. I almost wish I'd gone 17", with /70 proper LT tires but I can get LT tires in 275/65R18 too, and in fact will be doing exactly that when the OE tires wear down more.

/45 tires are for pimpmobiles and track cars.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Stealth with its 22's (286/45R22)
View attachment 81811

same Stealth with 18's and 275/65R18's (f150 'take-offs')
View attachment 81812
I vote for the 2nd one, but those 18's would look silly on my Expy (I did a test fit with 18's & 22's at my local shop & was laughing the whole time), which is why I'm sticking with the OEM 20's and moving up to 65's from 55's :)

ViperVette

Reaction score
My ‘21 came with the FX4 package which includes 18” rims. Given the it’s designed for more off road use, MORE sidewall is desired to protect the rims and help smooth the ride.
I’m not a fan of the 22’s or even bigger. The low profile tire on a big truck with massive rims looks ‘pimped out’ IMHO but that is just my two cent opinion.
A big truck needs a decent amount of sidewall. A sports car is entirely different.
Regardless, you should buy what YOU like, not what others tell or try to sell you. It’s your truck!

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpeg
    IMG_0675.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 9

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
don't forget to get a spare with the same OD as your tires. The stock 22's and 18s are the exact same OD, the 20 stock size is within a 0.1" or something, but a 275/65R20 would be a fair bit bigger. In fact, 275/65R20 is 2.2" bigger than 275/55R20 per https://tiresize.com/comparison/

could someone with a 20" Expedition, that runs the 275/55R20's, check and see what size their spare is? IMHO, you should drop your spare and check its inflation about once a year, both to make sure the hoist mechanism is functional, and to ensure your spare has sufficient air to be usable.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
could someone with a 20" Expedition, that runs the 275/55R20's, check and see what size their spare is? IMHO, you should drop your spare and check its inflation about once a year, both to make sure the hoist mechanism is functional, and to ensure your spare has sufficient air to be usable.
The spare tire on my 2022 with the 20" rims (275/55R20 tires) is 265/70R17

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
The spare tire on my 2022 with the 20" rims (275/55R20 tires) is 265/70R17
same here, but then again, since the tires that were on my Expy were nearly shot when I bought it, I negotiated for 5x brand new 275/55/R20 tires as part of the deal, and it came with that size spare too....

And my hoist is in good shape, as I had it checked on the last rotate/balance job in May :)

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, good to know, a 20" Expy comes with 20" spare. my 22" Stealth came with a 18" spare as did several others I looked at (yes, I crawled under them and checked).