Tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What are the biggest tires that will fit on a non-lifted 2001 XLT 4x4? I'm wanting something more aggressive than what came on the Expy when I bought it (last week).

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thunder, to be garanteed no rubbing, a 285/75R16 (285/70R17) is as big as you can go. Granted, you will need to trim the front valance just a little bit, but this is a 5 minute job and most of us have done this to our trucks.

Some members have gone up to 295's, but that seems to be kinda hit and miss as to whether it will work on the truck or not.

I did run 315's on the truck for a month and while it worked fine going down the highway, if you got the truck even slightly twisted up (say trying to make a turn as you were going to start going up a hill), the tires would rub big time.

MUSKYMAN52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was runnin 29s then upgraded 31s before i finished my lift 33s looked possible, but when i got the truck it had the body lift on it

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
33's. 285 70 r17 I may have twisted the torsion bars to raise the front end...more for a level look.

IMAG0731_zpsbd24845e.jpg

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the advise. I'll post pics as soon as I get tires and put them on. I'm eventually gonna put a lift on I'm just not wanting to spend a bunch of money at one time right now but still want a more aggressive look. I bought the truck used and it might possibly have a lift on it already, I'm not sure but it seems that the truck is pretty tall already.

MUSKYMAN52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
look for my thread in first gen called my hillbilly beast i got a side view of her with my lift and 31s

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
This is my Expedition XLT 4x4 that I was talking about. As far as I know everything is stock except for the Flow Master exhaust that the previous owner put on it. It has approximately 159,000 miles on it but it still runs strong. I have driven it to Corpus Christi, TX from Ft. Hood, TX several time without issue. I talked to a guy here at Ft. Hood who put a body lift on his (1999) and fit 33s on it. I like the way his looks so I will probably try to do something similar to what he is running on his.

Attachments

• 2001 Ford Expedition XLT 4X4 Padre Island.jpg
    2001 Ford Expedition XLT 4X4 Padre Island.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,715

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put 295/70r17 nitto terra grapplers on mine about a week ago and have had no rubbing without touching the torsion bars. Those tires are 33.3in per nitto's site.

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Brusky... so you got 295's under without torsion twisting and no rubbing?? I am putting rubber on this week and though 285...but 295 sounds better ;)

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@reefkrazy... I am so digging that roof rack...thought about that for mine.. and a brush guard maybe... how much taller does that make your rig??